Settings lost after upgrade

growbag
2014-08-27
2016-01-12
  • growbag

growbag - 2014-08-27

Small thing, but I have KeePass minimise after opening database (Tools-Options-Interface) but after each update have to reset this setting.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-08-27

A version update won't reset KeePass settings because the update does not modify the config file (keepass.config.xml).

However if you manually delete the active keepass.config.xml file during your update, the settings will be reset to their defaults. This could happen if you use the portable version of KeePass and delete, or abandon, the KeePass program directory at each update, because the default location of the keepass.config.xml is the KeePass program directory. It is far less likely for the installed version of KeePass, because the default location of the keepass.config.xml is in %APPDATA%/KeePass. For details about the possible locations of the active keepass.config.xml, see http://keepass.info/help/base/configuration.html.

• Maxx

Maxx - 2014-08-30

I have the same problem: Lost all settings approximately 4 times a year.
    I don't know really when this happens. In my feeling is it occurs if Keepass ask for a update to a new version.
    The problem is seriously.

• Paul

Paul - 2014-08-30

We have had 3 updates this year, February, April and July. Does that coincide with your issue?
    How is KeePass installed, portable, setup file?
    How do you update KeePass, install over the top, remove / install?
    Where are your config.xml files stored? http://keepass.info/help/base/configuration.html

cheers, Paul

Last edit: Paul 2014-08-30
  • wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-08-30

While KeePass does not touch the configuration file (keepass.config.xml) during an upgrade and therefore settings are unlikely to be lost during upgrade, it does overwrite the keepass.config.xml configuration file every time it exits. If this process is interrupted e.g. by an anti-virus program, or a forced shutdown (not by KeePass) it is possible that all settings (never some settings) could be reset to default. I have never experienced this, and if it occurs, it is likely very rare (seldom reported).

Nonetheless, if you are experiencing this problem and you can't identify what is interfering with KeePass during exit, a straightforward solution is to backup your keepass.config.xml file so you can replace it quickly. Alternatively if you have some settings that you never change you could place them in a keepass.config.enforced.xml file. This optional file will override the standard config file and is only read and never modified by KeePass, so settings stored in it will not be lost.

Last edit: wellread1 2014-08-30
    • Maxx

Maxx - 2014-09-26

I have made a backup of the keepass.config.xml located in %APPDATA%/KeePass.
      Just 11 days later my config was wrong: lost the last file, lost locked and minimized etc. (I compared with my backup). The "wrong" config seems to be a default-config ...

It seems not to be a problem with an update, because I unchecked "search for updates".

Maybe the problem occurs if the kdbx file couldn't opend at a startup??? In my case the kdbx file is in a Boxcrypter folder. Boxcryptor and Keepass are in autostart, but (maybe) the Keepass open the file much faster then boxcryptor enabled an access to the drive. This is just an idea ..

At next I will write a small script for the autostart to start Boxcryptor at first, wait for access and after that start Keepass.

Has anybody an idea in which condition Keepass reset to a default config?

• Paul

Paul - 2014-09-26

KeePass does not forget it's setting just because it cannot find your database file, but it may write new settings if it is using the user config file and starts before that file is available. Is KeePass starting with Windows or with the user log on? Try turning off "start with Windows" and run it manually.

cheers, Paul

• Paul

Paul - 2014-09-26

Why are you using Boxcryptor for the KeePass database? KeePass encrypts the database with AES so no additional encryption is required.

cheers, Paul

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-09-26

Has anybody an idea in which condition Keepass reset to a default config?

On exit KeePass overwrites the existing keepass.config.xml with a new keepass.config.xml file that contains the settings that are current as of KeePass exit. At startup, KeePass will use default settings if it can not find (or read) a valid keepass.config.xml file.

If the existing keepass.config.xml can not be found or read at startup, the current settings that are written on exit will be based on the default settings used at startup.

Note: See the Technical Details section in the Configuration help for additional details.

Last edit: wellread1 2014-09-26
  • Captain Blast

Captain Blast - 2016-01-09

I've had EXACTLY that happen to me twice in the past few:
    - Suddenly, after a reboot, keepass doesn't try to load the previous DB that was open, and when I go in the "recent", it is empty (but shouldn't)
    - I also lost all my settings (for example, I had configured some "custom" password-generator patterns (x number of chars, including option y and z) and that disappeared
    - My DB is kept on a local hard drive, so this is not an issue of cloud file not being accessible
    - I haven't done a keepass update in many months and am running the latest version (2.3). The problem occured more than once since I last updated, and not around the time I updated
    - I am also usig the keepass http plug-in.
    - Needless to say, I never (manually or consciounsly) deleted the conrfig.xml file

Any insight on what could be happenning would be much appreciated.

Thanks

• Paul

Paul - 2016-01-09

Where is KeePass.config.xml?
    Do you have more than one copy?
    Do you have a backup of it? If not, why not? You should always have a backup of your data.

cheers, Paul

• Captain Blast

Captain Blast - 2016-01-10

Thanks for worrying about it, but I do have a complete and complex system of backups. However, the database file is the one that is carefully backed-up at multiple places, as I do not see the same need for the config file. I would, however, appreciate to not randomly lose my settings.

This being said, to answer your question, I'm using the portable version on Windows 10 and I do not see any keepass.config.xml file.

I see, however, KeePass.exe.config and multiple KeePass.config_COMPUTERNAME_Jan-09-XXXX-2016_Conflict.xml and one more file for the 4 previous days.

How can/should I resolve conflicts in that xml file?

Thanks

• Paul

Paul - 2016-01-11

KeePass doesn't rename the config files. I suspect you have Dropbbox or other sync software interfering.

cheers, Paul

• Captain Blast

Captain Blast - 2016-01-11

Thanks, Paul, indeed my Synology Cloud Station was renaming the xml file when detecting a conflict, leaving the directory without a valid config file.

I'l still unsure what caused the conflict in the first place however.

Thanks

• Paul

Paul - 2016-01-12

KeePass re-writes the file every time you close / lock it. You must have used another copy on another device, or your sync software is no good. :)

cheers, Paul

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks