Menu

Any chance of a "last used" field for passwords?

S
2017-08-28
2017-09-04
  • S

S - 2017-08-28

Pretty simple - I have a "last modified" field, but I'd love a last used, even if it's just rounded to days or "days since last used" or something.

I use a LOT of sites for work, it would really be beneficial to me and I suspect, not too difficult to do.
    I really appreciate all the hard work, thanks for your time and effort.

• T. Bug Reporter

T. Bug Reporter - 2017-08-28

On the contrary, it's very difficult to do, mainly because there's no easy way to define what constitutes "using" a password. (Is it Auto-type? Copy and paste? What if you copy but never get around to pasting - should that count, and how would KeePass know that?)

Worse, even if it could be defined, "last used" could feed the misperception that a password needs to be changed simply because it's old. I have passwords that I haven't changed in 30 years - because I've never had any reason to suspect that they aren't just as effective now as when I created them.

• S

S - 2017-09-04

Ok fine, last auto-type is what I'm specifically talking about.

• Paul

Paul - 2017-08-28

And a last used field needs to be saved after every use. If you use KeePass a lot you would be saving often and that just isn't a good idea on a file that is probably the most important one you have, plus it may not be possible to save the database in some circumstances.

cheers, Paul

• steelej

steelej - 2017-08-28

And adding to what Paul said... (at least for those of us who syncrhronise our database via triggers to a cloud copy and replicate changes to other devices).

The change that is being suggested would have to trigger a replication process which means a new version would be written to the cloud. My cloud provider (TeamDrive) keeps all previous versions (I occasionally have to prune them manually). I use KeePass many times a day but only rearely need to add new entries or change passwords. My cloud versions would therefore increase from a few per month (occasionally perhaps to 5 per month but usually less) to perhaps 20 or more per day following each use of KeePass.

The paid for version of TeamDrive can be configured to automatially prune entries (I only need the free version) but this would reduce the ability I have now to go back several months (with my rate of change) to perhaps only a few minutes in some cases.

An apparently simple change could have significant unfortunate and unexpected consequences.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2017-08-28

You can display the Last Access Time in KeePass 2.x check "Last Access Time" in View>Configure Columns. If you want to save all the Last Access Times you need to save the database after each access, or to save the last, Last Access Times during individual sessions save the database before closing or locking the database. You can use the Auto Save trigger to automatically save on database closing.

• S

S - 2017-09-04

I do not have a last access time in mine and I have 2.36, I've just checked.

Perhaps an option where I can just double click or right click and "pin" or something, some kind of indication I've just used that and I'd like to mark this date and time.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2017-09-04

I do not have a last access time in mine and I have 2.36, I've just checked.

On the KeePass 2.36 menu, select View>Configure Columns.... The last access time column is listed in the standard columns section of the Configure Columns dialog (after Creation Time).

• Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2017-09-04

The options and controls for last access times are only visible if the corresponding UIFlags bit has been set.
    http://keepass.info/help/v2_dev/customize.html#uiflags

Best regards,
    Dominik