Invalid Format for PC but not iPad

2012-09-20
2014-02-07
  • Aaron Gaucho

Aaron Gaucho - 2012-09-20

I have been using KeePass for a while on a cloud between (Windows) laptops and iPad. All ran ok until a few days ago where I now have a warning (no error code) window when trying to open the database from the laptops: "Failed to load the specified file! One of the identified items was in an invalid format." it is not only strange that it just happened suddenly but also because the database still works with the iPad..? Any ideas?

• Paul

Paul - 2012-09-21

Are you sure you are using the same database file on both systems?
    Does the DB open on another machine?

cheers, Paul

• Aaron Gaucho

Aaron Gaucho - 2012-09-29

Hi Paul,

Yes, it is the same one on the same cloud. I have been using it for a couple of month and never had the problem until recently. What is even stranger is that now on one of the laptop it works again (I didn't do anything) but not on the other one. It still works on my Android phone, the iPad and the other (PC) laptop… They all use the same file.

Thanks
    Cheers
    Pat

• Paul

Paul - 2012-09-30

Copy the file to from the good laptop to a USB key. Try opening it from the USB key on the bad laptop.

cheers, Paul

• Aaron Gaucho

Aaron Gaucho - 2013-01-26

Sorry, never got back on this. I was wrong, it did not work anymore on any laptop or desktop, just on the iPhones and the Samsung Android. Since I wrote this, I have only been able to use from non PC devices. I run Win7 64 bits on the PCs and laptops. Any updates?

Cheers,
    Aaron

• Paul

Paul - 2013-01-26

If you can use it on the 'droid the database is likely to be V1 format.
    Do you have V1 installed on the PCs?
    How do you copy the DB from the mobile devices to the PCs?
    Can you copy the file to an SD card and read it on the PC?

cheers, Paul

• Aaron Gaucho

Aaron Gaucho - 2013-12-08

I have never been able to fix this problem and I am confined to use the iPad to retrieve my passwords everywhere I go. It is becoming a problem since I have purchased now a surface and end up with the same problem. So I have tried to recreate the problem and here is what I found: all is well and synchronizes ok until I have imported a file on the PC (Win) version (now 2.24). The file is just a text file. As long as I do not open the database with the iPad, the PC keeps being able to open the database, but when I opened it on the iPad and saved it (dropbox) and tried to reopen on the PC, I got the same problem again --> invalid format. I have saved the database and can send it to you if you want to check it out?

• Aaron Gaucho

Aaron Gaucho - 2013-03-24

The KDBX file is on Dropbox and is accessed by all devices as such. It work for a while last year until one day the PCs could not access it anymore. I tried to copy the database on a USB key and load from there, I installed on the PC the v1.25 but that does not recognize the file. I have the 2.21 installed on the PCs. My problem is that I have so much on it that it would not be realistic for me to re-type everything again. For now, I need the Samsung SIII or the iPad each time I need to access it...

Thanks
    Aaron

• Aaron Gaucho

Ok, I just did it again. Same scenario: create a new database on PC using 2.24. As long as I just save passwords and even extra fields on the PC and update on iPad, all is fine. But as soon as I attach a file (even empty) on the PC, close it, re-open on iPad and add anything (to save it again from the iPad), then the PC can't open the file any longer, having the error: "Failed to load the specific file! One of the identified items was in an invalid format". I suspect that the database integrity is compromised as soon as the iPad loads it (probably does not access these other fields and attachments) and saves it again. I have tried to attach the test database here in the forum but it does not let me do it...

• Aaron Gaucho

I wish I knew now how to remove the attachment from my old (current) database so that I could retrieve everything on the PC... The problem, the iPad and Android versions do not load the extra fields and attachments, so I can't remove them. Any ideas?

• Paul

Paul - 2013-12-08

I would export everything on the ipad to XML, then copy that file via USB to the PC and import. Once it's in XML format you can manually edit things if you still have problems.

What app are you using on the ipad? Have you talked to the developer of that app?

cheers, Paul

• Aaron Gaucho

Aaron Gaucho - 2013-12-10

I don't think there is an option to export, or at least I have not found it yet. It is iKeePass 2.6.0 (75) (kept updated). I thought you guys were the developer of that app as when I click on help, I get to KeePass Password Safe page with your logo?

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2013-12-10

The official version of KeePass is Windows only. Third-party ports and packages are listed on the KeePass site for users' convenience under the headings "Contributed/Unofficial KeePass Ports" and "Contributed/Unofficial KeePass Packages".

• Paul

Paul - 2013-12-11

iKeePass is a 3rd party KeePass compatible app. The developer has an email address on his blog that you can try.
    https://ikeepass.de/bl0g/blog/

cheers, Paul