Biometric Security

2011-03-10
2012-12-08
  • Joshua Szanto

Joshua Szanto - 2011-03-10

Since a lot of a laptops out there have built-in biometric finger print scanners, and biometric login has greatly been improved in Windows 7, it would make sense for KeePass to have an option for KeePass databases to use biometrics in addition to the master password, key, and Windows User Account.

If this were to be implemented, some users might find it convenient to be able to set that the biometric scan could be used in place of a master password, vice versa. For example, I would have a database that is secured by a master password, key, and biometric finger data. Like in Windows 7, I might want to be able to simply use my finger print to login and not have to type out my horrendously long and memorized master password. Other people might want to require both the master password and biometric.

• Joshua Szanto

Joshua Szanto - 2011-03-10

I can't find the edit button, so I apologize for double posting.

In addition, the biometric scan for said database could be configured to…
    * Accept any finger
    * Require at least x of any fingers (maximum 10 fingers?)
    * Require a certain order of finger scans (almost like an alphanumeric password)

• Paul

Paul - 2011-03-12

I use a fingerprint scanner to type the password into KeePass, but each scanner is different so it would be difficult to add to KeePass. If you integrate it into W7 you lose portability and leave yourself open to loss in the case of machine crash.

If you need help setting up your scanner to enter the master password let us know.

cheers, Paul

• Joshua Szanto

Joshua Szanto - 2011-04-14

Yes, I would be interested!

• Paul

Paul - 2011-04-14

This would only work if you use the scanner software to enter the existing master password. Anything else is asking for data loss.

What is the scanner software?
    Can it be set to provide an existing password for an application?

cheers, Paul

• Joshua Szanto

Joshua Szanto - 2011-04-14

My biometric scanner is built-in to my T61 6460-66U and uses no additional or third-party software. I use it to log in to my Windows 7.

• Paul

Paul - 2011-04-15

Without additional software you won't be able to use it to login to KeePass.

cheers, Paul

• Anonymous - 2012-12-07

What software I need to use for login to KeePass?

• Paul

Paul - 2012-12-07

You can use anything you like, but the easiest is type the master password on the keyboard.
    After that it depends on what your system is capable of and how much security you want.
    What biometric options do you have on your computer?

cheers, Paul

• Anonymous - 2012-12-07

I have a built in fingerprint Validity Sensor (VFS471) in my notebook.

• Paul

Paul - 2012-12-08

There is software for that sensor but I can't find a manual for it.
    Does the software allow you to run a program, or type passwords into applications?

cheers, Paul