back up to cloud

2013-08-27
2013-08-28
  • Patrick Murray

Patrick Murray - 2013-08-27

I use keepass 2.3 i wish to back up to cloud either skydrive or google drive. Which is the best way of doing that I presume a plug in which plug in for that please. Thanks for a great product has saved my bacon a few times used for over 10 years now

• Bruce Gowans

Bruce Gowans - 2013-08-28

There are several plugins on the plugins and extension page of the keepass site.

• steelej

steelej - 2013-08-28

You could just use a cloud service which replicates your local folder to the cloud. You don't need a plugin. I use TeamDrive as my cloud provider because its security is better than the others I have looged at. I have previously tried DropBox.

My database is automatically copied whenever it changes.

Even better, although a bit more complicated to set up is to SYNCRONISE to the cloud copy - see the example on this page

http://keepass.info/help/kb/trigger_examples.html#dbsync

I actually use both methods - I have a cloud backup and use the synchronise method which enables me to access my KeePass data from my work machine and my phone

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2013-08-28

Replication is not a complete backup because a corrupted database or other defect will be replicated. While some services like dropbox maintain previous copies for a period of time, I would not want to rely on that. Synchronization might offer some protection in the sense that a corrupt database probably can't be synchronized, but in principal a single event that occurs during synchronization could destroy both copies and defects that don't corrupt will be incorporated in both copies.

A backup process should be designed for robust reliability and should include a provision to recover some number of recent good copies of the database, preferably stored on different media in different locations.

Last edit: wellread1 2013-08-29
  • Mark

Mark - 2013-08-28

With the backup plugin a backup can be automatically made every time the database is synchronised or saved.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks