Corrupted File Structure - Data Recovery Service

• Jes

Jes - 2014-07-07

KeePass Version: 1.18
    Using Windows VISTA
    After I enter the password, I get the following: “Invalid/ corrupted file structure” Error code: 0x0000000D
    I attempted the “Repair KeePass Database File” option with no success.
    The only available backup is a year old and obviously lacking the newer data that was added or changed since then.
    From what I read on this forum it seems this a lost cause (2 year old threads). Are there other options?
    Would a data recovery service be worth a try or has anyone heard of one that has had success with this type of problem?

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-07-07

If you use Ultimate, Business or Enterprise editions of VISTA, but not (I believe) Home Premium, you may be able to recover a previous version of your database.

If you store the database on a cloud service you may also be able to recover a previous versions. Check their help or contact their support.

Otherwise, if you have verified that you are opening the correct file, there is little to be done. A recovery service will not be able decrypt a damaged database, but if it could restore the encrypted file to its intact state (down to the last bit) KeePass could decrypt it. There is a DIY product that claims to be able to recover data from failing or failed hard drives, but I don't have any experience with it. See There may be other products as well.

• Paul

Paul - 2014-07-07
    • Jes

Jes - 2014-07-07

My version of VISTA apparently does not have that feature (previous version). I'll look into the grc product.
      Thank-you for your response.