SourceForge has been redesigned. Learn more.
Close

Feature Request: String Fields SubStrings

aw12
2013-11-04
2014-10-17
  • aw12

aw12 - 2013-11-04

I would like to request a feature enhancement, and ask if anyone else sees value in it. I would assume most of you, like me, use the String Fields to record security questions. This way it is easy to copy and past them when necessary.

So now I have Fields of Security Question 1, Security Question 2, etc.
    Some of these sites ask obvious questions because they know we will know how to answer them - Mother's Maiden name, Where were you born, Favorite Book. I would like to get away from answering these questions and either put non-related answers or randomized strings (generated by KeePass!?!).

The problem I forsee is if I have several general fields called "Security Question X" and then a non-related answer, when the real question comes up I won't be able to properly differentiate which question goes with which answer. Therefore I would like to request the feature of a sub string to go along with the original string.

So for Site1:
    Field: Security Question 1:
    SubString: What is your mother's Maiden name?
    Value: Noneofyourbusiness!

Field: Security Question 2:
    SubString: Where were you born?
    Value: Stopasking!

Site2:
    Field: Security Question 1:
    SubString: What is your mother's Maiden name?
    Value: NPwKDK6HvPNOabDXqpcV

Field: Security Question 2:
    SubString: Where were you born?
    Value: oRPthSOAuipyT8Hdjwcf

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2013-11-04

Option 1: Create separate KeePass entries. One for each security question. Put the security question in the Username field and define an appropriate auto-type sequence. e.g.

Assuming the Target Window is "1st Bank of Transylvania Login"

Title: First Bank of Transylvania
    Username: What is your blood type?
    Password: O-positive

Custom auto-type:
    Target Window: 1st Bank of Transylvania Login
    auto-type sequence: {Password}{ENTER}

Option 2: For each security question add a custom field and auto-type sequence to your main entry and use the {C:Comment} placeholder e.g.

Custom Field: {S:Blood type}

Custom auto-type:
    Target Window: 1st Bank of Transylvania Login
    auto-type sequence: {C:What is your blood type?}{S:Blood type}{ENTER}

Assuming you have multiple security questions defined you will be presented with an auto-type selection dialog when you use the global auto-type key. For Option 1, the Username column in the dialog will list the Security Questions. For Option 2 the Sequence column will list the Security questions.

Last edit: wellread1 2013-11-04
  • Paul

Paul - 2013-11-04

I use custom fields in the same entry and use the question as the field name. Then I drag n drop the answers - the questions are not usually predictable.

e.g. First custom field
    Name: Blood type
    Value: A positive
    Second custom field
    Name: Mothers maiden name
    Value: Tony

Note: I never user real data for the security questions.

cheers, Paul

• Hoov

Hoov - 2014-10-17

I would like to see the random password generator available for these answers. I don't want to enter in real information, I want to use a random set of characters (just like what I used in the password) for the answer. And I want to be able to custom set the answer for each password. That way for one site the answer to my mothers maiden name might be ewEAGA4654rhDSFb but on another site it will be GEHTHdsfbdr464e5nfgsr5yw

This way it will be a real second layer of security. And if someone ever hacks the site and gets my mothers maiden name, it will not matter. It will not work for any other site.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-10-17

The KPEnhancedEntryView plugin allows you to access the password generator directly for any string field via the context (right click) menu.

You can already define custom password generation profiles for the password generator. See http://keepass.info/help/base/pwgenerator.html for details.