Duplicate entry, add option "without history"

Humangenom
2013-05-12
2013-07-20
  • Humangenom

Humangenom - 2013-05-12

I often duplicate entries because I have multiple accounts. It would be great to have an option to duplicate the entry without the complete history. I always have to manually remove it. Could you add a new checkbox with this option if it is helpful for others also?

cheers, Marc

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2013-05-12

Since the entry is a "duplicate" and not a "new" entry it should contain the history. Use Add Entry (Edit>Add Entry or Ctrl+I) to create an entry without a history.

• Humangenom

Humangenom - 2013-05-12

Why should I enter all the values like, title, url, notes, advanced fields and autotype windows again? It's a complete copy of the current entry without the history. Why should I have a history which is completely wrong for this entry?
    The question is why do I need the history in a duplicated entry anyways? It is not useful in any way.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2013-05-12

If all the values like, title, url, notes, advanced fields and autotype are identical or nearly so, and you don't want the history, use templates.

• Humangenom

Humangenom - 2013-05-13

It's the same for the current entry I want to copy.
    Templates are of no use if you have 100 different sites and 3 accounts for each of them.
    I create one entry and add everything I need. And over time I need a second, third or forth account. There is no need for a template.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2013-05-13

Templates are of no use if you have 100 different sites and 3 accounts for each of them.

This doesn't seem like a common usage model that would justify a new option.

I create one entry and add everything I need. And over time I need a second, third or forth account

If you are creating these entries over time, the occasional editing to delete an "irrelevant" history is no more work than the work needed to make the other differentiating edits. Note: history entries can be deleted as a group. Its more important that the user know that the initial copy of the entry is a true duplicate.

• Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2013-05-13

I've now added an option 'Copy history' in the entry duplication dialog. The default is to copy the history (because by default you should get an exact copy of the entry, without any data loss).

Here's the latest development snapshot for testing:
    http://keepass.info/filepool/KeePass_130513.zip

Thanks and best regards,
    Dominik

• Humangenom

Humangenom - 2013-06-26

I'm a bit late but it works perfectly. Thanks.

• Joe V.

Joe V. - 2013-07-20

Just downloaded 2.23, and I really appreciate the "don't copy history" option -- it's a fairly common use case for me. Thanks -- and thanks for a great piece of software!

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks