Main windows position

amd-65
2011-03-26
2016-09-27
  • amd-65

amd-65 - 2011-03-26

I've some trouble with the position of the keypass main window on Windows 7. I'm using a laptop with a docking station in a dual monitor configuration. I start KeyPass,  I  type the password and than I shift the main window to the secondary screen. That is no problem. Sometimes I'm using the laptop without the docking station. If I start KeyPass, I can type the password, but the main window is shown outside the screen. It isn't possible to do anything. It would be nice, if KeyPass checks, if the location of the main window is visible/possible with the current screen configuration.

• develop1

develop1 - 2011-03-27

Me too - I have a laptop with  docking station & dual monitor (laptop is xp).
    When on laptop only its possible that when launching keepass its application window not on laptop screen but on a 2nd monitor which is not currently connected.
    As a user I can  right click on the keepass icon found in the running task bar and select "move" with that one can then "arrow" the keepass application back into the visible field of the laptop. 
    So it problem isn't a show stopper as much as annoyance when it occurs.
    Its a minor issue that may (or may not) have a easy fix.

• Paul

Paul - 2011-03-28

KeePass does check, but you may have found a situation where the check fails.
    http://keepass.info/news/n100709_2.12.html

cheers, Paul

• develop1

develop1 - 2011-03-29

Pail459 
    Thank you for your comment - My testing shows you are correct in keepass does contain code to check and support multiple monitors.
    I have performed several tests and have identified conditions where the check works as expected and where it fails to work.

To reproduce the issue
        * a  laptop docked with a 2nd monitor
        * you will also need to have moved both the keepass "open" dialog box so it appears on that 2nd monitor
        * you will also need to have moved both the keepass application window onto that 2nd monitor.

With the above in place
       setup the respective test conditons then undock the PC and then hit the hot key to set keepass focus.

test 1)  .kdbx is both  UN-Locked AND minimized onto the systray.
             go ahead and undock the PC then hit the hot key to set keepass focus.
             The results are keepass CORRECTLY has a portion of the keepass application visible.
             This means a user can use the mouse and to reposition the keepass application onto a visible monitor of the laptop.

test 2) .kdbx is locked.
            It does NOT matter if the .kdbx application is minimzed to systray and locked
           or keepass is an open application window and but is in a locked state.

In both locked test conditions when you are undocked and hit the hot key to set keepass focus
            the OPEN dialog box window is ALWAYS off screen and one can NOT use the mouse to drag it onto the visible monitor of the laptop.  To open/use  the .kdbx one will need to use the keyboard move method described in post #2 of this thread.

test 3) .kdbx file is UNlocked and is an open window on the 2nd montitor (versus test#1 where  it was minimized on systray). 
            When the PC is undocked and you use the hot key to set keepass focus
            then NO portion of the keepass application window is  visible hence one can NOT use the mouse to drag it onto the visible monitor of the laptop. To open/use  the .kdbx one will need to use the keyboard move method described in post #2 of this thread.

• Paul

Paul - 2011-03-29

Thanks for the detailed investigation. I'm sure Dominik will be working to fix this.

cheers, Paul

• Erik

Erik - 2012-10-27

Still seeing this issue (v1.23). I am using this version because I mirror the database on an Android device.

Running Win7 64 Pro.

I'll open KeyPass, slide the main window to right-hand screen (external monitor on laptop), then put computer to sleep. When I start up machine without second monitor, the password entry screen comes up against the right-hand edge of the screen, but the main window if off-screen. I have to open <user>\AppData\Roaming\KeyPass\KeyPass.ini and menaully edit the KeeWindowPX value to something small. Then open Taskmanager to kill KeyPass and restart it.

Since KeyPass is staying alive even when the main window is closed, it should be checking the screen size before bringing up the main window. In case the computer configuration has changed.

Cheers!

• Javier Ruiz

Javier Ruiz - 2015-04-22

This is an ongoing issue for me too.
    I use v2.28 in Win7-64bit notebook PC.
    Keepass is running on a dual-monitor environment. When I take the notebook from the docking station, KeePass goes out of sight to nonexistent monitor space. I have to close KeePass by right-clicking the taskbar icon.
    Only when I re-launch KeePass does it recognize the new screen configuration.
    It's the only installed application I have that doesn't recognize the screen configuration has changed.

• Dungas

Dungas - 2016-01-27

1) Go to Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Ease of Access Center\Make the mouse easier to use

2) Untick "Prevent windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edge of the screen".

3) Then select (activate) Keepass windows in the taskbar

4) Press [Windows key] + [Arrow Up] to maximize Keepass windows.

• Trisha Hart

Trisha Hart - 2016-01-28

Thank you much appreciated

• Bill Davidson

Bill Davidson - 2016-09-27

Still seeing thie problem. Win7 Pro64. KeePass 2.34. Laptop. Usually docked. Not today. The Windows key + up arrow and deal with the window maxmized workaround is annoying but it's better than not being able to get in at all.

I assume that KeePass is saving some information about the monitor in the registry? Is there a regedit that we could do?

Last edit: Bill Davidson 2016-09-27
  • Paul

Paul - 2016-09-27

KeePass saves window details in the config file, which you can modify if KeePass is not running.
    http://keepass.info/help/base/configuration.html

cheers, Paul