SourceForge has been redesigned. Learn more.
Close

KeePass2 Won't Run on Chrome

jjberns
2014-02-11
2014-02-12
  • jjberns

jjberns - 2014-02-11

I've used keepass for over a year now and admittedly am a bit of a noob when it comes to some of this stuff, but for whatever reason lately KeePass2 will not load when I run the application. If I try to run the app nothing will happen. I have installed and uninstalled the program multiple times and Keepass2 works on my other computer. I have no idea why this is happening and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: Sorry I shouldn't say it doesn't work on chrome - I downloaded the app from chrome originally, I also cannot get KeePass to work after downloading from IE as well and then running the program. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edit: jjberns 2014-02-11
  • Paul

Paul - 2014-02-11

What operating system are you running, Windows?
    When you say nothing happens, do you mean KeePass won't run, or won't open your database?

cheers, Paul

• jjberns

jjberns - 2014-02-11

I am running Windows 8.1. KeePass simply won't run.

Thanks

• Horst

Horst - 2014-02-12

KeePass 2.25 runs fine under Windows 8.1.
      Try to copy your Keepass directory to some other place outside of Program files.
      I run it under c:\tools\keepass for example.
      Also there are some plugins which need additional functions (old .NET) of Windows to be enabled, but such problems would still allow Keepass to start.

Last edit: Horst 2014-02-12
  • wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-02-12

What happens when you double-click on the keepass.exe file (not a shortcut) in the program directory where KeePass is installed? Does a keepass.exe process appear in the "Image Name" column of the Processes tab of taskmanager? (click on the Image Name heading to sort the processes alphabetically)

• jjberns

jjberns - 2014-02-12

When I double click the keepass.exe file I get a pop up that says "How do you want to open this file" w/ the options of "Look for an app in the store" and "other." There is no keypass process running in task manager after double clicking the keepass.exe file.

Thanks again.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-02-12

That sounds like you are not clicking on the program "KeePass.exe" but are probably clicking on a KeePass database file (e.g. KeePass.kdbx) and Windows 8 does not know where to find KeePass.exe. Can you see the actual file extensions or are they hidden? What is the complete path of the file (and full file name) that you are clicking on?

I don't use Windows 8, so someone familiar with that specific Windows 8 error message may be able to provide additional instructions.

Last edit: wellread1 2014-02-12
  • steelej

steelej - 2014-02-12

KeePass runs on Windows 8. If the program is installed it should go into

"C:\Program Files (x86)\KeePass Password Safe 2"

by default. You can run it by clicking on KeePass.exe.

If the program does not run then that would point something being wrong or corrupt with your Windows installation.

I agree that the message suggests that you are clicking on the KeePass database file and not the program. You can SET the file association so that KeePass runs when you click the database file.

Have you perhaps renamed the database file as KeePass.exe?