When Keepass locks, it takes focus away from the active program

2013-03-22
2013-04-02
  • G. Weisskopf

G. Weisskopf - 2013-03-22

This behavior has existed forever, I think, but I still find it a bit annoying. When Keepass is open but hasn't been used in 2400 seconds (the default), it locks so that the program stays open but the database closes. When it does so, it takes the focus away from the program I'm working in, so suddenly I'm not working in it anymore. Is this necessary? It's a minor annoyance, but does seem unnecessary. I mean, my e-mail program checks for mail in the background without taking the focus, etc. Thanks,

• Paul

Paul - 2013-03-22

Yes, that is annoying.

cheers, Paul

• Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2013-03-22

I cannot reproduce this. Can you please post your configuration file? For testing make sure you don't use any plugins.

By the way, 2400 seconds is neither the default in KeePass 1.x (the default is 0, disabled) nor 2.x (the default is 300/240, disabled). Which KeePass version are you using? Make sure you're using the latest version (either 1.25 or 2.21).

Thanks and best regards,
    Dominik

• G. Weisskopf

G. Weisskopf - 2013-03-30

Not the default? So I must've set it to 2400, 40 minutes.

I'm sorry I didn't say before, that I'm using ver 1.25 under Windows XP. The focus issue has been around forever, as far as I (vaguely) remember. I've attached my Keepass ini file. Now that I'm back here talking about it, I'm going to set the time-out to about 20 seconds and double-check if it always pulls focus from every program. Thanks.

• G. Weisskopf

G. Weisskopf - 2013-03-30

Okay, a couple of quick tests. If Keepass is open (not minimized), when it times out it minimizes and closes the database but does NOT take focus away from the active program. But when I've minimized Keepass (to the tray, in my configuration), when it times out it does draw focus away from whatever program was active. I tried this with my browser (Opera), Outlook Express, and a DOS program. I would be typing in the active program and when Keepass timed out, my keystrokes were no longer going to that active program.

• Paul

Paul - 2013-03-30

Yep, I can reproduce the behaviour if KeePass is minimized to the tray, but not if it's in the background.

cheers, Paul

• Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2013-03-30

Thanks. I now was able to reproduce the issue and have fixed it.

Here's the latest development snapshot for testing:
    http://keepass.info/filepool/KeePass_130330b.zip

Best regards,
    Dominik

• G. Weisskopf

G. Weisskopf - 2013-04-02

Yes, that did it. I tried your snapshot and it no longer draws the focus when it times out, either while open or in the tray. Thanks for checking on that Dominik, and for fixing it, too. I assume I should wait to see it in the next official build, and not use the snapshot.