Download error

Help
d7e7r7
2011-05-03
2013-05-30
  • d7e7r7

d7e7r7 - 2011-05-03

After installing the plugin I get the error when trying to download a favicon:

Download error

Download error

Could not download favicon(s). This may be a temporary problem so you may want to try again later or post the contents of this error message on the KeePass Favicon Download forums at http://sourceforge.net/projects/keepass-favicon/support. Technical information which may help diagnose the problem is listed below, you can copy it to your clipboard by just clicking on this message and pressing CTRL-C.
    Parameter is not valid..

OK  

Any help will be appreciated….

• Peter Florijn

Peter Florijn - 2011-05-04

Same here

• Luckyrat

Luckyrat - 2011-05-08

What URL are you trying to download the favicon for?

I've got some potential improvements ready to be released soon so if you can give me some URLs to try out I can see if there is any improvement for your issues.

Thanks,
    Chris

• Luckyrat

Luckyrat - 2011-05-08

I've just released version 1.6. It might take a few hours to appear for some parts of the world but if you download it when you see it, you should find that those five URLs work now - they do for me at least.

Thanks for reporting the problem and being patient :-)

• d7e7r7

d7e7r7 - 2011-05-08

Thanks, some still don't work but think it's cause they don't have favicons…

• d7e7r7

d7e7r7 - 2011-06-08

Hi luckyrat,

Thought I would submit 2 more links that don't work with the Favicon Downloader…
    https://clientzone.afrihost.com/
    https://www.ultravpn.fr/

Maybe you could increase compatibility with a future release?

• Luckyrat

Luckyrat - 2011-06-08

Hi,

Thanks for the update.

With the first link, there are two problems. First there is a bug that means favicons with relative URLs are always accessed through a non-secure connection (often this will still work but occasionally it won't); I'll fix that up in a future release.

Unfortunately the second problem might be more tricky. That site is sending the Favicon Downloader a customised version of the web page which does not have any mention of the favicon. Without coming up with a way to fake the requests to pretend KeePass is actually a modern web browser, I don't think there's anything else that can be done for sites like this. Maybe we can spoof this information one day but I am wary of doing so unless it becomes a more widespread limitation (it might have unpredictable side effects and is not considered "best practice").

The second site has an unusual favicon. It works for me in FireFox 4 but not in IE9; that said, it does download into KeePass for me. Maybe there is a subtle difference between our systems that means it works for me but not you (or maybe their website was just broken when you tried).

I'm running the latest Favicon Downloader, KeePass 2.15, Windows 7 x64

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks