Tako Schotanus - 2003-02-15

Just my story how I got it to work. Who knows, it might actually be usefull to someone! :-)

NB: I'm just a beginner in Linux, so please forgive me if I'm stating the obvious at times.

----

Making was no problem but installing it using 'make install' didn't work for me.

I'm using Redhat 8.0.

I looked at the 'make install' output to figure out what it was trying to do and saw that all files were being copied to /usr/local/kde3. Well, this might be the place where kde3 is installed 'normally' but it isn't on a Redhat 8.0 system!

So I looked a little bit more and encountered that the same folder structure could be found in /usr (but without kde3!) so I just copied everything from /usr/local/kde3 to /usr.

That didn't work. Logged in again. Still didn't work.
Although 'configure' files now at least had a different icon! So copying the files had been a good step at least.

So why the icon but not the actions?

Then I noticed that there was 1 folder called ../share/applnk/Applications (with a kconfigure.desktop file) which doesn't exist in the standard Redhat installation. There is one called applnk-redhat though which seemed to contain the same kind of files (but no Applications sub folder). Copied the kconfigure.desktop file to applnk-redhat.

Again that didn't work. Logged in again. Still didn't work.

Then I saw a folder called 'applications' that had lots of those .desktop files so I figured that I could try that option as well.

Again that didn't work. Logged in again. Yes!!

'configure' files now had a Kconfigure option. Finally!

But makefiles still didn't... hmmm... but after looking around some I saw Kconfigure was actually part of the list of possible programs it just wasn't visible.

Now for tar.gz files. There it was the same as for the makefiles. But for tar.bz2 files I had to add one myself.

So I got it to work in the end! phew!