Menu

I think I blew my USB Telebox

Help
2007-10-01
2013-04-30
  • Chris Worley

Chris Worley - 2007-10-01

Most of last week, it was working great, although I keep the POTS line unplugged most of the time.  But, by Friday, usbb2k_api had zombied... but I couldn't reboot (needed the server up) until tonight.

In restoring the phone to POTS service last Friday, I crosswired it... instead of plugging the POTS line into the Telebox, I unplugged the phone at the base, and plugged that into the POTS-in port (one phone wire connected to both ports of the TeleBox).

I quickly figured out what I had done wrong, but pulled out the "tele" end from the TeleBox, and plugged that into the phone, and plugged the POTS line into the "tele" connector.  As long as usbb2k_api was zombied... POTS worked.

Tonight, when I rebooted the server, the POTS side went berserk.  I realized my mistake and rewired the TeleBox properly (switched "line" and "tele" ports).

But, I think I blew the TeleBox.  Now, when making a Skype test call, I can barely hear the other end (even though the volume is all the way up on both the computer [ALSA] and phone side), and the "ring" doesn't work at all, unless the phone is off the hook, then it makes a farting-like noise out the phone speaker.

The POTS side works fine, even going through the TeleBox. 

The USB seems fine, as I see the Telebox lights change from "USB" to "Line" when I switch the B2K Controller GUI from "PSTN" to "USB"... and dialing-out from Skype works well too... it seems just the speaker and mic are blown.

Any way to fix this?

Thanks,

Chris

• Chris Worley

Chris Worley - 2007-10-01

I put it on a Windows laptop and ran the yealing drivers installed from scratch, and, yes indeed, this thing has blown.  I get the same very faint output to the speaker on the phone, although the software protocol to the device seems fine.

Note that I said "usbb2k_api had zombied" since I changed to a different USB card, I have been able to get rid of this issue just by killing all the firefoxes currently running... apparently they put some hook into the driver, although they don't actually use it.

• Simon_6162

Simon_6162 - 2007-10-04

Sorry to hear about the bad news, at least these things are really cheap now.

• Chris Worley

Chris Worley - 2007-10-04

I'm now thinking it had nothing to do w/ mixed up rj11 connections.  I don't think mixing up the connections can/should cause this.

I think the true chronology went more like this:

1) the box blew Thursday night.
      2) Friday morning, the driver was probably working fine, but I didn't realize the box was putting-out at ultra-low volume.
      3) Thinking the driver wasn't working, I tried to kill it, and it was hung... but not zombied as it was w/ my built-in USB device, just stuck on Firefox.
      4) When it still didn't work after rebooting, I diagnosed the bad rj11 setup.
      5) Still not working, and finding the new behavior of the blown box, I blamed the mis-cabling.

It's in RMA now.

Chris