Menu

PCLinuxOS Dependency Problem

Help
phillfri
2007-11-19
2013-04-30
  • phillfri

phillfri - 2007-11-19

Unfortunately, installing the PCLinuxOS kb2kskype rpm declares a missing dependency for usbb2k_api. Of course, there aren't any rpms for usbb2k_api so one has to compile and install it oneself. One can tell Synaptic to ignore the dependency and go ahead and install kb2kskype. But the next time one attempts to upgrade any package the Synaptic package manager in PCLinuxOS insists on uninstalling kb2kskype because it can't find the usbb2k_api dependency. Makes sense I guess, since usbb2k_api is not installed via an rpm.

I'm relatively new to Linux, so perhaps I'm missing something. But I notice that there haven't been rpms for the usbb2k_api module for some months now. But if this dependency affects all the package managers as it does Synaptic in PCLinuxOS, then there doesn't appear to be much reason to even making the kb2kskype distro specific rpms?

• phillfri

phillfri - 2007-11-19

Trying to compile bk2kskype in PCLinuxOS 2007 I'm getting the same error message as mentioned in the following post:

https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1850093&forum_id=653443

I tried to make sure that the required modules were installed per your response to that post, but there seems to be quite a bit of difference in module names. This is what I end up with when going through Synaptic on PCLinuxOS:

PCLinuxOS Module Names
                          -------------------------
      libusb-devel                 libusb-devel
      alsa-lib-devel              libalsa2-devel
      kdelibs-devel                  kdelibs-devel
      qt-devel                  libqt4-devel, libqt3-devel
      automake 1.9 on kubuntu        
      libjpeg-devel-6b on fedora)    
      g++                     g++
      alsa-utils                  alsa-utils
      libX11-devel                 libx11_6-devel

After making sure all of these were installed, I still get the error message that X includes can't be found when I run the configure command.

• phillfri

phillfri - 2007-11-19

As a last note: Your PCLinuxOS rpm does work with a self-compiled usbb2k_api module. You just can't keep it  installed :>)

• Simon_6162

Simon_6162 - 2007-11-19

As a horrible fix till I sort things out.

Install the old usbb2k-api rpm.
      then compile the new source with
      configure --prefix=/usr
      make
      make install

that should replace the old files with the new ones but the rpm database still knows the rpm is installed.

• phillfri

phillfri - 2007-11-20

Thanks for the directions simon. I followed them and assumed that the 'make install' command had to be run as root? I'm not sure that was a correct assumption, since the resulting bin file was not copied to the usr/local/bin folder after the command was finished running. The old bin was still there. I set the usbb2k-api service not to start on boot, rebooted the machine, copied the bin file over, set the usbb2k-api service to start on boot again, and restarted the machine.

The usbb2k-api was set up as a service, but it wasn't indicated as "running" in the services panel (it says "stopped"). It appears that the service is in fact running though, as my Skype and kb2kskype started and worked.

Now I just have to get Skype tuned :>)

Thank you again for your assistance.

• Simon_6162

Simon_6162 - 2007-11-22

you are correct on the root make install i forgot to mention that but.
      The "./configure --prefix=/usr" should have made the install location as /usr/bin not /usr/local/bin but at least you have it working.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Simon