Menu

spurious text output

Help
tigon5
2009-02-15
2013-04-30
  • tigon5

tigon5 - 2009-02-15

I have new versions of usbb2k and kb2ksype installed (downloaded Jan 09)
    and there are a couple of issues.  I have intrepid 64.

1 - The main one is that when I dial the number on my phone, i get a long stream on numbers outputing into any text field that I have open.  This effects any program I have open.  My solution so far is to open a terminal and press enter.  This stops the output until i make the next phone call.

I remember having solved this same problem on my old computer about a year ago, but can't seem to find the solution on the forum.  I seem to remember having to uninstall some unnecessary package that comes installed by default on ubuntu.

2 - the star key doesn't switch from usb to pst anymore?

any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

• tigon5

tigon5 - 2009-02-18

i have noticed that the issue is not there while kb2kskype is running (and for about a minute after closing).
      also pressing 0 results in a 1 being typed, 1 types 2, 2 types 3, and 3 is enter.
      sometimes the output repeats ad inf. but I can't replicate this during testing.

• Simon_6162

Simon_6162 - 2009-02-18

Hi

I've not really got much to suggest as it doesn't happen to me.

Have you compiled from source or are you using packages?

Can you see  if it happens when usbb2k_api is running but kb2kskype is never run. Also try running the test_usbb2k.py (its in the tools folder of the source code) connect to the socket file, which should be in /tmp/usbb2k.sock

let me know how you get on

Simon.

• tigon5

tigon5 - 2009-02-20

ok, i may have installed the 386 package on to my system - can't remember exactly.  I will try compiling from source just to make sure that is not it.

will post back results after having done this.

• tigon5

tigon5 - 2009-02-20

ok, compiled from source, and installed.

i rebooted the computer, usbb2kapi starts up and there is the socket in /tmp/ folder as you said. however, on pressing buttons on my telephone receiver, i get streams of numbers output into an open terminal. 
          I then ran the test_usbb2k.py program.  while that was running the streaming numbers stopped.
          After closing test_usbb2k.py and after waiting a minute or so the numbers are back , but do not repeat themselves ad inf.
          I rebooted and tested again and the behaviour was the same.

so test_usbb2k.py has same effect as running kb2ksype.

by the way was there anything in particular that you wanted me to do with test_usbb2k.py   I tried pressing big test - "BIGTEST" was printed onto the terminal - but nothing else.  is this an indication of good behaviour?

• Simon_6162

Simon_6162 - 2009-03-29

Sorry my last post didn't post, I did try and reply to you a few weeks back.

I forgot what I said to do now aswell, i'll think about it and get abck to you.

Do you know how to use valgrind ?

• tigon5

tigon5 - 2009-03-30

afraid not, thankfully i can avoid learning valgrind just yet :)

The problem is there when usbb2k_api is NOT running as well.
      on closer inspection of lsmod, there was a module called yealink up and running.
      modprobe -r yealink solves the problem! no more silly output, usbb2k free to work as intended

how can this problem be solved permanently?  I can't seem to find the offending package so that i can remove it permanently.  although really usbb2k_api should be being installed be default not this rubbish yealink - what's up with that?

• Alatariel

Alatariel - 2009-03-30

that yealink stuff is the default kernel module ... should be removed, yes ...
        will have a closer look why this re-appeared ...

• ClareOldie

ClareOldie - 2009-03-30

If you cannot otherwise prevent it from loading then maybe "blacklisting" yealink will do what you need.

/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist     file here