Menu

To minimize on startup

Help
2007-05-15
2013-04-30
  • Frank Bennett

Frank Bennett - 2007-05-15

Last night I worked out a way to keep kb2kskype and skype out of the way when they are launched at startup, maybe my solution will be of use to others.

Our PC at home is a MythTV box used mostly as a TV (running on gnome window manager in our case).  Domestic harmony dictates that Myth should have a monopoly on screen space at startup.  I couldn't find a satisfactory way to make this happen within the window manager (I looked a kdocker, but for gnome, at least, I couldn't make it work smoothly for this purpose).

In the end, I used a sledgehammer, running usbb2k_api, skype and kb2kbskype in a vnc4server virtual desktop window.  The entire Skype subsystem is invisible on startup, but the telbox jumps into usb mode and
    works as advertised.  Magic.

There were a few bits to work out along the way, so
    here are the details.  The VNC server in the Ubuntu distro we use (Edgy) has a bad set of font paths installed, so needs to be started like this:

###
    vnc4server -fp /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc :1
    ###

In the .vnc/xstartup file, I have this:

###
    xsetroot -solid grey
    vncconfig -iconic &
    /usr/bin/amixer -c 1 cset numid=7,iface=MIXER,name='Mic Capture
    Volume' 63000
    /etc/init.d/usbb2kapi start
    /bin/sleep 5
    /etc/init.d/skype start
    /bin/sleep 10
    /etc/init.d/kb2kskype start
    /usr/bin/amixer -c 1 cset numid=7,iface=MIXER,name='Mic Capture
    Volume' 64000
    blackbox &
    ###

The /etc/init.d scripts are just copy and fiddle clones of normal Debian/Ubuntu startup scripts.  The sleep pauses are in there to let skype catch up, so that the kb2kskype connection does not fail and generate a popup (inside the vnc4server instance, where you'll never find it unless you look for it).  The amixer invocations cope with some instability in the ALSA settings on my hardware/OS combination that is cleared up by nudging the volume controls a bit.

Seems to work, anyway.  It is going to be nice to, you know, go back to just using the phone.

... and thanks to Simon for writing this fantastic application!

• Simon_6162

Simon_6162 - 2007-05-18

just for your information you can sent a dcop command to the kb2kskype main window to tell it to minimize to the tray. See below, but thanks for shareing your knowledge.

dcop `dcop | grep kb2kskype` kb2kskypemainwindow hide

• Frank Bennett

Frank Bennett - 2007-05-19

Aha.  That will teach me to ask questions later.  :)