Menu

Error finding device and BadWindow

Help
2010-12-16
2013-04-30
  • Michael McGinnis

New system: now 32 bit HP Pavilion a824n, Ubuntu 11.4 Narwhal.

Now this happens frequently (might be a Skype problem too, since it's a little flaky on startup too):

michael@doulos:~$ kb2kskype
    kbuildsycoca running…
    DCOP Cleaning up dead connections.
    michael@doulos:~$ X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
      Major opcode:  20
      Minor opcode:  0
      Resource id:  0x4c00070
    X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
      Major opcode:  20
      Resource id:  0x4c00070
    X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
      Major opcode:  7
      Resource id:  0x4c00054

I get a B2K popup:
    Error finding device
    The program will now exit.
    Check the usb driver is running and that you have read write permissions on it.

Unlike my previous program, running kb2kskype repeatedly doesn't seem to help. Restarting my system does, but this is Linux - there should be a more elegant solution.

I should mention that when I start up, I often get two b2k icons in my top panel and often two Skype icons. I often get a kb2kskype error You must log into Skype first, and a Skype error that I may already be logged in. But by closing both programs and restarting Skype then kb2kskype, it usually works. If I don't get an error finding device.

• Simon_6162

Simon_6162 - 2010-12-17

Do you know why you are starting kb2kskype twice, or how are you starting it, do you have a dual display as I know this can cause causes autorun to run twice? Also I know if you have those programs in saved desktop sessions your desktop manager will load them in addition to any auto launch script you may have, if that is the case add them to excluded programs in your desktop manager (you'll have to google how to do that "gnome/kde exclude program from saved session" ).

When you get the comment about can't find device that means you need to restart the usbb2k-api deamon. On ubuntu type

sudo /etc/init.d/usbb2k-api restart

then you should be able to start kb2kskype again.
    Check that it is set to start in Boot-Up Manager by default for run level 5.

Simon

• Michael McGinnis

Thanks so much, Simon. On my current version of Ubuntu (Precise Pangolin 12.04), it is:

sudo usbb2k_api