Menu

kb2kskype.py won't hang up correctly?

Help
Koohiisan
2012-09-16
2013-04-30
  • Koohiisan

Koohiisan - 2012-09-16

I'm running Ubuntu server 12.04 + gnome-desktop classic, with the latest kb2kskype.py I've pulled from svn.

My only problem is that if I call a conference line (or anything that's not a real person who hangs up at the end of the call) it never drops the call when I hang up…the next time I pick the phone up I am still on the conference!

Any ideas?

• Koohiisan

Koohiisan - 2012-09-17

Odd note…it works fine on Echo123: if I hang up at any time the call ends as expected.

• Simon_6162

Simon_6162 - 2012-09-17

Hi, can you explain how I replicate this issue, are you calling from SKYPE or from the PSTN line?

It sounds like you are calling a land line number from skype and wanting to hang up first, the other end doesn't so the call stays active, is that correct?

• Koohiisan

Koohiisan - 2012-09-17

I only have the Skype connection; no PSTN at all.

I am calling an (auto-answering/IVR) land line from Skype and I am wanting to hang up first, you are completely correct.

• Simon_6162

Simon_6162 - 2012-09-17

OK I'll give it a try tonight and get back to you. I'm guessing I've missed calling endCall() when the receiver is put down.

• Koohiisan

Koohiisan - 2012-09-17

I wondered if perhaps it had not either registered the hang up or if there was an event which wasn't called.  Although it is odd that echo123 handles it perfectly…weird.  But, that's not a landline, so perhaps a direct Skype-to-Skype call is a different entity.

BTW, I closed the python app and now I just have the icon in the notification area.  Is there any way to open the window back up?  I only seem to have the option to close it or learn about that.  Thanks!

• Simon_6162

Simon_6162 - 2012-09-17

I've not tried it on gnome, but double clicking the icon in the system tray in KDE opens the main window back up. If you want to shutdown the app you right click on the icon in the system tray and exit (or quit I forget).

Re echo123 working, The skype interface stores the state of in a call or not, so it could be that a landline call doesn't set the in call state and therefore endcall thinks it has nothing to do. I'll dig around tonight, I haven't look at the code for a year!

• Simon_6162

Simon_6162 - 2012-09-17

I think I've fixed it, update svn and give it a try (svn update), although there is a chance I might have caused more problems.

Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Simon

• Koohiisan

Koohiisan - 2012-09-17

Perfect!  Thanks for your quick assistance, Simon!  :)

Now, if only I had a way in gnome to open the application window from the tray icon…  ;)  I may try to try my hand at that myself, though, since I have a much better chance of understanding the code now that it's python and not c.

• Koohiisan

Koohiisan - 2012-09-17

I don't think that's the issue, since I can *see* the icon…I just only seem to have the Exit option when I left-click on it.  Right clicking gives me an About option, but it's for the notification area, not the app.  And, double-clicking is non-existent.

I've posted an image of what I see here (captured from a rdp session): www.lukegerhardt.com/downloads/kb2kskypepy_icon_issue.jpg

Maybe double-clicking is the issue…since nothing there seems to respond to a double-click…even Skype ignores it.  To open it, I have to left-click the Skype icon and select Activate.  Maybe they've changed the behavior of the notification area?

• Simon_6162

Simon_6162 - 2012-09-18

So if you can't left click skype to show and hide it either I'll go with the assumption that Gnome3 has broken most qt system tray functionality. I've just added a line to the system tray to add a show/hide option to the right click menu, I haven't check it can run as I don't have the hardware with me at the moment, can you see if it works and solves your problem.

Simon

• Koohiisan

Koohiisan - 2012-09-18

Your update works perfectly!  I can both hide and show the application window from that new menu option.  Also, it restores the window if I have closed it using the X.

Thanks!  Two fixes in 24 hours is definitely not bad for not having touched the code in a year!  :)

• Simon_6162

Simon_6162 - 2012-09-18

Super! If you can work out a better fix for the system tray in Gnome let me know.