Issues using Ubuntu 7 and Yealink B2K

Help
Maxim
2007-05-22
2013-04-30
  • Maxim

Maxim - 2007-05-22

Hi all,

This is the best open source I have ever seen. But, I have found some troubles. I consider myself a begginer linux user. I am running Ubuntu 7.

I tried to follow the pdf instructions that this project has for Ubuntu.

Making a call o receiving a call (I mean using the phone) works like a charm. But, I have two issues:

- When I talked with the phone that is attached with the USB the other person in the line can't hear me.
    - After talking some time I stop hearing the other person and same happen in the other side of the phone. I had to stop the api and then start it again. Then, start skype as well as the kb2kskype client

I noticed that when I use the alsamixer I only saw two bars. So, I increased the maximun only to both of them. However, I read that it should be 4 bars there. So, I don't know if that could be the problem.

Also, since I am in Ubuntu, I used the .deb package to install the usbapi. The other one I did it using the ./configure method. I noticed also that there were some errors displaying in the console after runing the kb2kskype app.

Please I need your help. I don't want to switch to Windows to make this work.

Thanks in advance,
    Milton

• Frank Bennett

Frank Bennett - 2007-05-22

Milton,

First, confirm that Skype works correctly on its own.  If that's working, then the loss of mic (and of sound) are probably caused by muting of the ALSA interface.  To check the settings, you need to sure you're looking at the right card -- with the telbox plugged in, your computer will probably have two sound cards: the main one, and the telbox.  The cards are chosen by number, and telbox is *probably* card 1, and the main sound card card 0.  So if you do:

alsamixer -c 1

you will probably be looking at the telbox.  The bars set the volume, but ALSA also does muting.  If MM is shown under a bar, it is muted, and you need to select that bar and press the "m" key to unmute it.

When you start it, alsamixer shows only the speaker outputs.  To see the microphone settings, press the TAB key.  Press it again to get all four bars together.  Be sure all of the bars are unmuted.

Read up on the amixer command for a way to reset the sound settings from a script without invoking alsamixer and fiddling with the keyboard.

If it's any consolation, I've also had the "sudden silence" problem.  It's not clear where it comes from, and it's not clear whether it is caused by kb2kskype.  Until the cause is tracked down by someone, setting up a way to quickly re-fix the audio when it goes haywire is your best bet.

Hope this helps,
      Frank Bennett

• Maxim

Maxim - 2007-05-25

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your quick and excellent respond. You were absolutely right in your response. I was able to fix the mic that was giving me the problem. However, I think there is still a problem with my mic. The sound in the other side of the line is not clear at all. I feel very frustated since I put a lot of time configuring my Ubuntu and I will have to return Windows. By chance do you know if there is something I can do to solve this issue? I changed the sound options configuration for the OSS drivers or something like that instead of the ALSA that helped a little bit but like I said the voice in the other side of the line is not clear. Please let me know.

Thanks one more time,
      Milton

• Simon_6162

Simon_6162 - 2007-05-25

Are you using the latest version of the kernel and the alsa for you distribution? Use Synaptic Package Manager to do this if you need to. Otherwise look out for the new Skype releases that are coming out and hope they fix the problem.

I'm using alsa-lib-1.0.14
      and kernel 2.6.19

• Alatariel

Alatariel - 2007-06-08

well, I think I second Simons advice, try the new package I am building right now - even if it is for Kubuntu 6.10 - and please report any issues you have with it! :)

the 4 bars-thing was probably my system screwing up a bit, I guess there should be only two ... that document should be updated too by now - will see what I can manage, am in the midst of a move right now too ...