Menu

More like a real phone

2008-03-05
2013-04-30
  • Richard Guest

Richard Guest - 2008-03-05

I got sick of trying to explain to normal phone users about having to dial an international code for local calls and follow the number with a '#' to initiate the call.

The international code thing is really up to skype to fix, but I've hacked kb2k for the short term.
    I think the more interesting hack is to the b2kinterface that effectively 'times out' after a given number of digits have been dialed and calls that number. It's pretty ugly - and hard coded atm - but it works.

--- kb2kskype-0.3.7/src/b2kinterface.cpp        2008-02-06 13:33:29.000000000 +1300
    +++ kb2kskype-0.3.7-NZcustom/src/b2kinterface.cpp       2008-03-05 21:03:42.000000000 +1300
    @@ -38,6 +38,8 @@
            currentMode = PSTN;
            defaultMode = PSTN;
            defaultModeString = "PSTN";
    +       timer = new QTimer(this);
    +       connect( timer, SIGNAL(timeout()), this, SLOT(dialTimout()) );
    }

@@ -240,7 +242,7 @@
    //     Returns:        void
    void B2kInterface::clientQuiting(){
            char str[50];
    -       strcpy(str,"Quit\n" );
    +       strcpy(str,"QUIT\n" );
            if (write(s, str,strlen(str)) == -1) {
                    #ifdef USESYSLOG
                    syslog(LOG_ERR,"Send ERROR 1");
    @@ -331,9 +333,11 @@

if(q.contains("KEY ",false)){
                    // first keypress stops dial tone
    -               if (currentMode == USB)
    +               if (currentMode == USB) {
    +                       timer->start(2000, TRUE);
                            if (phoneNumber == "")
                                    stoptDialTone();
    +               }
            }
            if(q.contains("USB DEVICE INIT ERROR", false)){
                    #ifdef USESYSLOG
    @@ -411,7 +415,7 @@
            {
                    QString* send = new QString("CALL ");
                    stoptDialTone();
    -               //ignore leading *, if any
    +               //ignore leading *, if any (shouldn't be).
                    if (phoneNumber.find("*") == 0){
                            send->append(phoneNumber.right(phoneNumber.length() - 1));
                    }
    @@ -435,6 +439,21 @@
    }

+//
    +void B2kInterface::dialTimeout(){
    +       QString* send = new QString("CALL ");
    +       stoptDialTone();
    +       //ignore leading *, if any (shouldn't be).
    +       if (phoneNumber.find("*") == 0){
    +               send->append(phoneNumber.right(phoneNumber.length() - 1));
    +       }
    +       else{
    +               send->append(phoneNumber.mid(0,100));
    +       }
    +       sendb2kMessageEvent(send);
    +}
    +
    +
    //     set the status of the phone position
    //
    //     Args:           Status

--- kb2kskype-0.3.7/src/b2kinterface.h  2008-01-17 02:22:34.000000000 +1300
    +++ kb2kskype-0.3.7-NZcustom/src/b2kinterface.h 2008-03-05 21:03:55.000000000 +1300
    @@ -27,6 +27,7 @@
    #include <qmessagebox.h>
    #include <unistd.h>
    #include "customeventsenumeration.h"
    +#include <qtimer.h>

//added from b2k example most probably ain;t needed
    //#include <stdio.h>
    @@ -69,6 +70,7 @@
                            bool getOnHook();
                            int getCurrentMode();
                            void requestINFO();
    +                       void dialTimeout();

//signals:
                    //      void b2kmessage (QString);
    @@ -92,6 +94,7 @@
                            struct sockaddr_un remote;
                            char str[100];
                            //end addition
    +                       QTimer *timer;
    };
    #endif

--- kb2kskype-0.3.7/src/skypeapidlg.cpp 2008-02-06 13:25:38.000000000 +1300
    +++ kb2kskype-0.3.7-NZcustom/src/skypeapidlg.cpp        2008-03-05 21:04:03.000000000 +1300
    @@ -895,6 +895,19 @@
                    }else if (!incall){
                                    incall = true;
                                    b->stoptDialTone();
    +                               if (!str.startsWith("0", false)) {
    +                                       message = QString("CALL ");             // reset the message.
    +                                       message.append("+64 ");                 // append the country code,
    +                                       message.append("4 ");                   // the area code,
    +                                       message.append(str);                    // and the original number.
    +                               }
    +                               else if (!str.startsWith("00", false)) {
    +                                       message = QString("CALL ");             // reset the message.
    +                                       message.append("+64 ");                 // append the country code,
    +                                       message.append(str.right(str.length() - 1));    // and the number minus leading 0.
    +                               }
    +                               // else it's an international call and should be sent as is...??
    +                               // END
                                    sendMessage(message);
                            }
                    }

• ChangedSoul

ChangedSoul - 2009-04-20

Well I dont understand what you have done here, but it looks nice to me and it is what I have been looking for. Im using skype in windows right now because of this, my wife hates having to dial 001 for every call.

So I have one problems...how can I get what you did? I dont understand what you have done. Is this in the source and it has to be recompiled? Is it just a scrit I can stick somewhere?

Surprised no one responded to this. Are we the only ones that hate dial the country code?

• Jeremy

Jeremy - 2009-04-30

I have an alarm I wanted to be able to dial out. It has a limited space for the number and I dont have a # button  on it .  I need to get rid of the # and the 001 from the phone number going into b2k. I looked around in the code but thought it was messy and a bit over my head right now. I couldnt find where the numbers were
      Is there a way to get kb2kskype to accept a number without a #, and stick the "001" in the front of the number before sending it to skype ?

• Simon_6162

Simon_6162 - 2009-05-01

I can add a default country code to the ini file, to remove the need for the 00 at the start. However the # at the end is more of a problem, as that is used as teh trigger to send the number to skype. (do you have a start button ?)

• Jeremy

Jeremy - 2009-05-01

I see what you did now;very nice. I read through your patch file and apllied it to version 0.3.8 , but some stuff was changed like sendb2kFeedbackMessageEvent(QString) and sendb2kMessageEvent(QString) dont pass a pointer anynore it seems. nothing major to change i think. Redaing the complaints of the compiler can seem misleading sometimes though lol. 

Doesn't   if (!str.startsWith("0", false)) mean it is true if the leadning zeros are missing? 

Also, i will only be using USB mode, so i can hack my k2bk as much as I need to let my just dial like a normal phone and not need the 001 , or the # right?

"(do you have a start button ?)"  Do you mean do i have a send button on my phone? If so , yes I do.
      However, on the alarm dialer, I think it just sends the tones for the 7 or so digits over the phone line and waits for the phone companie to do its thing? Not sure on that. Do the normal phone network require phones to send a special signal to say this is the end of the transmission of the number requested? Either way, the alarm dialer operates like a normal phone except I dont have the * or the  # key on it to save those in the alarm dialers memory as part of the number.

kb2k doesn't actually send the # to skype does it? if so,      we can just put it back in there automatically right?

• Jeremy

Jeremy - 2009-05-01

Hmm, Simon, I didnt look at the name of the prev post and thought it was quiffman(original post) talking to me :)

• Jeremy

Jeremy - 2009-05-05

Hah, cool. Thanks Richard for figuring out how to do this.  I got it working in version 0.3.8 but had to change some stuff because some functions pass values rather than addresses and stuff. I might try to put a couple of places in the form to enter default area codes and country codes and stuff   if i have time. I think it would be  cool if some of this were options in the actual releases.  :)  Fun stuff

• brian_p

brian_p - 2009-05-13

Said by Octo:

> Doesn't if (!str.startsWith("0", false)) mean it is true if the leadning zeros are missing?

By now you've most likely figured out what happens, but if a leading zero is not found it must mean the dialled number begins with the digits 1 to 9.

Your query about pressing the # key: this tells kb2kskype to send the dialled number plus any prepended digits to skype; skype doesn't see the #.

Depending on what you protecting it is interesting you are using what can be an unreliable medium for an alarm : ).