Why is Java App on my Mac so slooooow?

Help
2010-05-05
2013-04-14
  • Ebrahim Afsah

Ebrahim Afsah - 2010-05-05

I am using a 2008 Macbook with 4GB RAM and latest SnowLeopard, but the Java App runs extremely sluggish. Every command or mouse movement takes about twenty (!) seconds, sometimes more (Window resizing) before it is implemented.

Does it need to be that slow?

Is there a way of editing the DB within the Java App? (I wouldn't know because it is so slow, I can't even try to do anything to the data)

As a sidenote to the developers: THANKS, THANKS for finally porting Supermemo. Godsend, really. But why, oh why do you have to make the connection between PC/Mac and iPhone so incredibly user-unfriendly. I did manage eventually, but only after MAJOR headache. There's got to be a better way.

(Note to other users: you need to put in your iPhone's name into Settings on the Java App. Then go to About this Mac and under Network take the  IPv4 Addresses, something like 192….. This number you need to put into the Karatasi settings on your iPhone which you find in the general settings icon below all the other system stuff, down where the individual application settings are listed. Make sure you also have the same port (I used the default on the Java which is 7779 and which is NOT the default on the iPhone where it said 8888, change that to 7779 and make sure you have the same password on both sides.)

• Mathias Kussinger

Hi!

Does it need to be that slow?
    No! I did check a new compilation, and i see the same behavior :-( I am sure it did work well before.
    I have a MAC with Leopard.

We will check this.

Editing is under development at the moment. If you want to add new cards, you can create a csv file with the new data
    and append it to an existing database. Please have a look at http://karatasi.sourceforge.net/manual_java/en/overview.html
    for the import function, and http://karatasi.sourceforge.net/manual/en/csv_import.html for the file format.

Thanks for the feedback on the connectivity. Really. It is not obvious for someone used to networking to see
    such pitfalls.
    The different default ports are a bug, we will fix this with the next iPhone version.
    The long range target is auto detection with Bonjour.  It's on the list, but after database editing.
    Would it help to add a screen to the (faster) Java application that displays exactly what to enter into iPhone setup
    for that computer?

- Mathias

• Ebrahim Afsah

Ebrahim Afsah - 2010-05-05

>Would it help to add a screen to the (faster) Java application that displays
    exactly what to enter into iPhone setup
    for that computer?

Oh yes, that would be splendid.

Putting in the information into the settings was not difficult, the hard part for a computer-literate but not technically sophisticated person like me was:

1. knowing that iPhone settings had to be tweaked
    2. knowing where settings can be found on the iPhone (ok, this one I should have figured out quicker, more of a duh! moment)
    3. knowing that the name of the computer (Ebi's Mac or Ebi's iPhone) was insufficient and that the IP address was needed for the Mac (but not for the iPhone, strange)
    4. knowing where to find that address

I think if you had some sort of help screen telling you these things, a trained monkey like me could figure it out quicker. (I was close to give up on your product. Glad I persevered, I like it a lot so far).

Yours Ebi

• Christa Runge

Christa Runge - 2010-05-11

Hi,

we are still working on this issue, but now we have some preliminary results and a suggestion for a work-around.

The *very* slow execution seems to occur especially in the File > List menu (table view for all cards of a database), and it seems to be related to the 64 bit VM as provided by Apple for Java-5 and Java-6.

As work-around we suggest meanwhile to download a 32 bit Java VM (Apple provides it for Java-5),
    and use the Java Preferences.app  tool to select this 32 bit Java as default for Java applications and command-line tools.