Mark multiple cards for drill process?

• Andreas Mollat

Andreas Mollat - 2010-02-19

Hi all,

i just managed to write a little (and very dirty) ruby script to convert SuperMemo XML exports to multiple CSV files. (I will post it if this work is done)

However - I now imported 1249 learning cards to the iPhone into 14 databases and 92 sub chapters, but I can't start learning, because they are all not committed for the learning process. Is it somehow possible to commit multiple cards to the learning process, so I don't have to touch them each???

Thanks in advance, Andreas

• Christa Runge

Christa Runge - 2010-02-19

Hi Andreas,

We recommend not to commit all your 1249 cards at once; this would result in an extremely high learning load - probably too high. Instead we recommend to commit the chapters one by one. I assume this is how you have structured your cards into databases and categories.

We have implemented a button to commit all cards of a category in one single step; this button, however, is not so easy to find:

in the category list, press the 'organize' button in the top right corner, then select a category. You see now the screen with the category properties.

At the bottom of this screen there are two buttons. The box with the checkmark will commit all cards of this category in one step (that is, add them to the learning process). The unchecked box will remove them again from the learning process.

• Andreas Mollat

Andreas Mollat - 2010-02-20

Thank you for your help. This will fix the issue for me.

However - in my special case a "mark database" button would be helpful though, because I do not really learn the cards from scratch, I just repeat them all for exam… ;-)

Thanks again,

• mac-es

mac-es - 2010-04-23

I have a general problem with marking cards for the drilling process. When the cards are marked (either single marking or bulk marking) the amount of cards marked being displayed is not correct and not all of the marked cards appear in the training process (e.g. 6 cards marked, only 5 being displayed and appearing in the training process). After clicking once through the 5 cards marked, all of them disappear from the training / display list. What's wrong?

By the way: what's the difference between "database" and "language trainer (database)" and why are special characters not displayed when importing an UTF-8 coded file with the java tool.

Last but not least: thanks for the improvement of the java tool (such that I managed to import some files - but which some chars not being displayed correctly)

• Christa Runge

Christa Runge - 2010-04-23

Hi Mac-es,

> marking cards for the drilling process?
    Maybe there is a misunderstanding about the concept of karatasi.
    When you mark a card (or several cards) they will appear for drill at once (right button with numbers), so you can learn them for the first time. Each card disappears from the drill as soon as you have answered correct. When all cards have disappeared, you are finished for today.
    From this moment on, the cards start a never-ending repetition procedure - they will appear in the test after one or two days (left button with numbers), and then again and again. The interval of repetition will grow as long as you remember correctly; and it will restart with a very short interval (1 or 2 days) when you answer wrong.
    In the test, each card is presented only once - depending on the rating of your answer, it goes then to the drill again.
    You can manually add single cards to the drill - this is the icon with the circle and the two arrows - but currently there is no function to add a group of cards to the drill.
    Please refer also to our manual at

> what's the difference between "database" and "language trainer (database)"?
    The "language trainer (database)" wizard is specialized for vocabulary when you are learning a language. You add a word, together with its translation, and the wizard wil create 2 cards: one card with the original word as question, and the translation as answer; the other card is the other way round (question and answer swapped).
    The "database" wizard is better when you learn other stuff and have clear question and answers. It does not duplicate and swap the cards.
    Please refer also to our manual at

> why are special characters not displayed when importing an UTF-8 coded file with the java tool?
    Exactly which version of karatasi-java are you using?
    And which kind of import are you doing - from CSV or from Palm SuperMemo?
    In karatasi-java version 0.2.0, csv import supports UTF-8 only.
    In karatasi-kava version 0.2.1 we support now also other character encodings. Please setup your preferred encoding in the settings (menu File / Settings).

• mac-es

mac-es - 2010-04-25

Is there some way to reset the drilling process and to start over again? Used .csv encoded with UTF-8. Will try the new version of your Java tool. Thanks!

• Christa Runge

Christa Runge - 2010-04-25

Hi Mac-es,

currently there is no function to remove all cards from the drill.
    We plan to add such a function in the next iPhone release.

In the Java application, there are three modes for cvs import:
    (a) Read, with no database selected in the list = create a new database
    (b) Read, with a database selected in the list = overwrite the selected database
    (C) Insert = append to an existing database.

If you create a new database it will overwrite *all* cards - including the drill list, and start over.
    The same if you overwrite a database.
    If you append to an existing database, it will keep all cards.