I recently purchased an ipod touch and was pleased to discover that karatasi could convert my extensive database of SM files for scrabble study to be used on the touch. My palm screen sensitivity failed last year and I haven't had access to those files.
I have the app on the touch and I have downloaded karatasi Java to my pc. two problems.
1. It seems that some of my SM files convert and others do not, notably ones that a friend sent to me.
2. Bigger problem. When I try the syncDB I get a connection … failed message. I am running the Karatasi Java program and the light is yellow. The message I get is:
Apr 6, 2010 1:38.29 PM net.sf.japi.net.rest.impl.RestServerImpl run
INFO: bound to port 8888
I have messed around with the settings in Karatasi Java (changed the snyc server port to 8888 - although I don't really know what this is, and also changed the authorized device and password). I have also messed around with the settings on the ipod (changing the host the the IP, changing the port to 8888, and noting the device name and changing the password.
None of these have worked. Please advise. Thank you.
Also, if you know of a forum for scrabble users to share flashcards, please advise.
Thanks in advance,
ad 1) Can you please go a little more into details what didn't work. I have found a bug with the encodings settings. If you get the wrong characters please wait for the next bug fix release coming soon.
- As a first step please make sure that you have the same settings for port, device name and password on both sides (ipod and java application). From the log i can see that you didn't get up to the password authentication, it fails before.
- Do you have a firewall on your computer? It has to be configured that the ipoc can access the java application and doesn't get blocked.
- You can also try to enter the IP address of your PC instead of it's name into the ipod. Sometimes the mane resolving fails.
ad 3) I'd be happy if someone would setup a forum to share databases. We are much too busy with development to handle this. Sourceforge is not the right place for this, they don't want their site for content sharing. Sidney did also think about setting one up.
I might be a little closer here….
1. on the pathway issue for converting sm files. Here is a sample of a filename that worked:
Here's one that didn't work:
they were both PDB files, but the first I created on the palm, and the other I pulled in from an e-mail attachment, but it was usable on the palm.
2. I checked that the port, device name and password are all the same. However, since I don't know what a "port" is I had just picked the number 8888 out of the air - there may be an actual port number that I should be using.
I opened the "windows firewall" and I created an exception for the karatasi Java program and I enabled port 8888. I think the ipod can access the computer because it syncs other programs.
please verify also that you setup the host name correctly at the iPhone.
The host name is the name of your PC in your local network.
Alternatively you can use the IP address of your PC - provided that it has a fixed IP address in your local network.
On a Windows PC you can find out the IP address with the command
Thank you Christa!!!
I had my ip address wrong on the phone - off by one number. Now it works.
I also was able to import the other databases. For some reason I could not copy and paste the file name directly into the "read" command area. So I have been typing them in and all of the ones from my friend had an extra space that I had not been including. Now it works and I can start using my flashcards again.
Thank you for your patience.
Log in to post a comment.
Sign up for the SourceForge newsletter:
You seem to have CSS turned off.
Please don't fill out this field.