Dear Fellow Open Source Enthusiasts and Linux Advocate cum "Passionistas":
The Advent of one of the Filipino Contributions has dawned to the IT World. Kahel OS.
At first, i wish to write "... The advent of one of the significant and relevant Filipino Contributions has dawned to the IT World. But it would only be significant if IT's goal will be attained and relevant if users may realize IT's value in the long run.
Kahel OS is not just an Operating System so to speak. IT is not just a Technology Product on a Linux and Open Source Platform added to the thousands of FREE Distros already available in the community. IT does not explicitly want to be different or to be set apart from the rest. However, among others, we simply would like Kahel OS (just like our team) to be the embodiment of our IT Values and Philosophy.
Kahel OS is based on Arch Linux. http://www.archlinux.org.
Kahel OS believes that there is no Distro War. Kahel OS would not like to attempt to break barriers. But believes that there is an Open Source Apps just for everyone: for one's taste and choice. Kahel OS does not impose; "that this one is better than that one"...Instead, IT's banner and call is "To reinforce to schools and students, organizations and individuals and advocates (organized and not) that IT is also ALL about VALUES, not just computers and operating systems". Kahel OS is Simple yet Flexible, Free yet Strictly adhering to Standards,Open yet Closed to those with a closed view, Cool and Light yet Powerful on Applications. Kahel OS is Encouraging learning and sharing. That IT will truly flourish if we complement our natural and nurtured skills and knowledge with the understanding of why one is gifted
We cannot distinguish distinctly who should use Kahel OS or who is it for yet we darn know that:
1. Kahel OS is not for the lazy and ignorant.
2. Kahel OS is not for those who do not like to learn (spare a few days) and is not a fan of innovation.
3. Kahel Os is not for those who only dares try it, may be dissatisfied but does not give his/ her comment or input on why he is dissatisfied/ dislikes it, so as IT could improve.
4. Kahel OS is not for those who prefers pirated OS because he/ she does not like to purchase one.
5. Kahel OS is not for those who can spare money for Desktop OS, but could not think of others and spare money for relevant causes on learning and education (because he/she thinks, it's not his/her job, it's the Government's.)
6. Kahel OS is not for those with a closed mind and perspective.
7. Kahel OS is not for those Filipinos who believes that a Filipino can only make it if you're not in the Philippines.
8. Kahel OS is not for those who are already happy and content with their current Desktop OS and you feel it's not worth keeping your options OPEN.
But then again, you aske me "Why should one try out Kahel OS?"
Here are 8 reasons: (i'll also try to express its benefits)
1. It is based on a Rolling Release Model - Genuine Upstream Source
Benefit. This means that you do not need to wait for months or for the next OS release to be updated with the newest applications available. (1) effortless updates of applications, and, (2) lesser time and MBs spent on getting the most recent available application and kernel releases.
2. Utilizing the Newest Linux Kernel 2.6.30.
Benefit. This means that there will be more devices/ drivers that could be supported. WIMAX is one of them (please read this separately for your appreciation). WIMAX of which is an emerging broadband wireless standard supported and included in this kernel. Fast Boot. Boot up is under 10 seconds (Environment Friendly).
3. Kahel is using all the default and suggested applications for Gnome, which makes everything tightly integrated. Default Gnome Applications for Office, Multi-Media and Web- Browsing.
Benefit. This is most likely appreciated by already Linux Users but for the layman, necessary applications are already in place upon boot up of the Kahel OS. However, you can still be able to install other Linux Applications.
4. Supports for latest NILFS2, BTRFS by default. Support for Next Generation Technologies.
Benefit.This implies that applications are provided with improved filesystem scalibility and performance.
5. Utilizing Pacman and Package Kit
Benefit. With the Pacman and Package Kit, easy installation of applications is enabled.
6. Source Code Installation-Capable.
Benefit. This simply implies that if you have favorite applications (you need not compile), all you need to do is type yourt (with the application name) on the console and voila, your application is installed and ready to use.
7. All applications is i686 and x86-64 optimized.
Benefit. With the availability of the Technology of the New CPU's in the market, special features such as multi-threading are put to use and maximized because all applications are compiled on i686. Thus, Applications run very fast. No backward compatibility bottleneck.
8. Most of all, IT is FREE as IT is our gift to all. IT is an innovation of a dedicated and passionate team that espouses the same values and philosophy Kahel OS has. The team, 8liens.
8liens believes that IT (Information Technology) is not a world apart from our daily living, its transcendental path is towards eliminating mediocrity, harnessing skills, alleviating our economic strength as a whole while fostering nationhood as we search for our global niche.
Kahel OS does not like to sound preachy, and does want to teach without a cause, but Kahel OS is for sure here, When you need IT. Do IT right.
Log in to post a comment.