Menu

Linux schedule? TODO list?

2001-11-20
2001-11-21
  • Thomas Nichols

Thomas Nichols - 2001-11-20

Good day,

I'm looking at JXUnit for a regression test setup under Linux - currently implemented as a bunch of .BAT files under Windows, I want to get *nix support ASAP. I'm also using JUnit for "white-box" method-level tests, I'd like to keep it all integrated.

I want to use Ant to kick the tests off - so that they become part of the "daily build" process, but the Ant <junit> task would require huge scripts filled with <sysproperty .../> tags.

My preferred options:
    A: Write a JUnit TestCase which looks for an XML config file and uses it to drive the tests on data files in that directory (does this sound familiar..?)

B: Use JXUnit. What gotchas should I be looking for when working with Linux? I work in a dual Win2K/Linux environment (ie Windows X server, Samba etc.) and I can run the basic kit ok under Win2K, I'm just hacking about modifying .bat files to Bash .sh scripts. Earlier posts suggested this might already be a work in progress? Is the CVS HEAD stable enough to work with, should I try that instead?

Looks as though this will save me some time, so I hope I'll be able to contribute something useful.

Thanks,
    Thomas.

• Bill la Forge

Bill la Forge - 2001-11-21

We are doing releases this week (Quick, JXUnit, JXWeb and QARE) which should work OK for both Windows and Linux. (I just noticed that there are now install instructions on the Wiki Wiki for Linux.)

We had to abandon using ant for zipping up the releases, as it does not seem to save the permissions.

We're including .sh scripts (bash), but I'll warn you that we're a bunch of Linux newbies here, mostly.

The releases will come dripping out one by one this time--we're trying to test them and write installation instructions as we go. But four of us are working on the releases this week. (The other four are doing preliminary work QARE3.)

Frankly, we don't have a todo list for JXUnit. I know there are a number of users, and I'd be glad to see others take the lead on this. We've implemented a basic minimum of features, so there are likely a number of things missing that could be quite useful.

We have done some work toward supporting multiple JAR files, but we have not done anything specificly for JXUnit. Just got it working with the text ui.

For the rest of the year we plan to be working on QARE, an XML portal that runs on http and email. We're rewritting it to use SQL, though were cheating a bit by putting XML documents in various columns. (Makes the SQL a whole lot less complicated.)

Bill

• Thomas Nichols

Thomas Nichols - 2001-11-21

>> We had to abandon using ant for zipping up the releases, as it does not seem to save the permissions. <<

Ant 1.3.x won't set execute permissions under Linux for the <untar> task (... or is it unzip? ...) but this is partially fixed in 1.4.x

<...checks...>
      See http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3861 -- still unresolved.

---

JXUnit has got some really good ideas, but I decided that the mechanics - QJML schemas, introspection et al - were rather OTT for my present needs. The truly wonderful dom4j - http://sourceforge.net/projects/dom4j - allows me easily to interrogate an XML "test driver" file, with Ant and JUnit I have most of the other architecture I need - and JXUnit has given me the design ideas I wanted! I'll be keeping a close eye on where JXUnit is going.

I'm also looking for a decent Java portal - I hadn't realised that's what QARE was aiming at, will have to look at it more closely.

Thanks for your reply,
      Best Regards,
      Thomas.