Menu

Thoughts on combining JxWeb and JxUnit

2003-12-22
2003-12-27
  • Brett G. Palmer

Brett G. Palmer - 2003-12-22

Is anyone opposed to combining the JXWeb source code with the JXUnit source?  Currently JXWeb and JXUnit projects aren't perceived as being very active.  Hopefully by combining the two projects we can increase the activity of the JXUnit project. 

I am also working on some new extensions of the JXUnit framework, and I would like the ability to combine a JXUnit test with a JXWeb test.

Please let me know what you think.

Brett

• Ervin Varga

Ervin Varga - 2003-12-22

An idea to integrate the two projects seems appealing to me (Web-based solutions are extremely popular nowadays). However, I'm rather inclined to say (as you noticed) 'integrate' rather than 'combine'. JXWeb is a natural specialization of the more generic JXUnit framework. There is a clear delineation between them, so the united framework should reflect the same separation of concerns. Moreover, by keeping them "separate" (of course, after integration only on a logical level) we can guarantee a possibility for an incremental way of learning the whole framework (piece by piece, as user's demands dictate). If someone does not want to be involved in a Web part, he should not spend time to learn stuff related to JXWeb. Keeping a framework as simple, comprehensible, flexible and easy to learn is a very important aspect.

All in all, I vote for integration. Please, let me know when it is time to update the 'JXUnit Primer' (maybe we can together write a new one; what do you think?).

By the way, do not forget to add a sophisticated ANT based 'build.xml' file to a project!

Ervin

• Brett G. Palmer

Brett G. Palmer - 2003-12-23

I agree with integrating rather than combining the two frameworks.  I don't want to make the framework more difficult but more flexible.  Users that aren't interested in JXWeb shouldn't be required to learn it.  But if a user wants to combine a couple of JXUnit commands and a JXWeb command in the same test.jxu file this should be possible, which I don't think can be done in the current version.

I would like to work with you on updating the JXUnit primer documents that you created.  They are very helpful.  I also appreciate your feedback since my use of JXUnit may be different than other users. 

Brett

• raghu venkat

raghu venkat - 2003-12-23

Would MAVEN be a choice for builds? I have been doing MAVEN only recently but found it very nice and powerful. Since this is/will be a web project, if the environment is published, I would be glad to help in doing the builds using MAVEN. MAVEN also generates a lot of reports (I was only interested in the unit test report anyways), if anyone is interested.

• Brett G. Palmer

Brett G. Palmer - 2003-12-27

I don't know a lot about MAVEN.  What does MAVEN offer that can't be done with a comprehensive ANT build?

Brett