Usaing JWMA with mod_jk / Apache

2001-05-31
2001-05-31
  • Eric Hancock

Eric Hancock - 2001-05-31

It seems that the only reason jwma won't work out of the box with tomcat / apache and mod_jk is that the automatically generated file only serves jsps and things under the /servlet directory through tomcat.  For example, in the mod_jk.conf_auto file, you see the follwoing mounts:

JkMount /webmail/servlet/* ajp12
    JkMount /webmail/*.jsp ajp12

However, if you change the mounts to:

JkMount /webmail/servlet/* ajp12
    JkMount /webmail/* ajp12

everything should work fine.  I'm not at all familiar with how tomcat generates that file, but maybe we could put a note in the installation docs mentioning this.

• Jim Bishop

Jim Bishop - 2001-05-31

I have actually had this working for quite some time. Build and configure Apache with SSL and make that work first.
          When you start Tomcat it creates a file <path-to>/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.1/conf/mod_jk.conf-auto. You can include this at the bottom of your httpd.conf file but as you note webmail will not work. I copied the -auto file to mod_jk.conf. I added
      Include <Path-to>/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.1/conf/mod_jk.conf to the bottom of my  httpd.conf file.
          I added some URL rewritting with Apache mod_rewrite and redirect all webmail traffic to an encrypted SSL session.
          I restarted Apache to get the new info and all went well. An excerpt from my mod_jk.conf is as follows:

Alias /webmail "/usr/local/jboss/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.1/webapps/webmail"
      <Directory "/usr/local/jboss/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.1/webapps/webmail">
          Options None
          AllowOverride None
          Order Allow,Deny
          Allow from all
      </Directory>
      the /servlet/ uri to tomcat
      JkMount /webmail/* ajp13
      JkMount /webmail/*.jsp ajp13
      <Location "/webmail/WEB-INF/">
          AllowOverride None
          deny from all
      </Location>
      <Location "/webmail/META-INF/">
          AllowOverride None
          deny from all
      </Location>

I am not much of a java developer and am sure that there is a better way to do the servlet mapping than I did here but I know it works.
           As a further aside, my Tomcat is actually residing inside of a jboss servlet container should anyone want some added info on that as well.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks