Menu

SIB byte and option -Zg

dosfan01
2013-03-01
2013-04-20
  • dosfan01

dosfan01 - 2013-03-01

SIB byte generation is reversed from MASM when no scaling factor is specified unless -Zg is used. I'm curious as to what is the reason for not always matching the behavior of MASM and requiring -Zg to do so ?

• japheth

japheth - 2013-03-02

It's  explained somewhere already, but I cannot find it anymore.

In short: the Masm documentation clearly states that, if no scaling factor is used in the expression, the first register ( counting from left to right ) is to become the base, and the second will be index ( unless the second is ESP, because this register cannot be an index register ).

Hence the documentation and Masm v6+ behavior don't match - and I prefer to assume that the buggy part is Masm's behavior.

• dosfan01

dosfan01 - 2013-03-02

Why not assume the MASM documentation is wrong especially considering that the behavior of MASM has been the same since MASM 6.0 ? Also it is a SIB (scale-index-base) byte which suggests that the index is first and the base is second (unless a scale is specified or ESP is used).

I no longer have the MASM 6.0 manual but I would guess that perhaps it worked this way in MASM 5 but was changed in MASM 6 which was a major update and the documentation wasn't updated to reflect this. Anyway JWASM really should follow the behavior of MASM without the need for option -Zg particularly considering this behavior has remained constant since MASM 6.0.

• japheth

japheth - 2013-03-05

> Anyway JWASM really should follow the behavior of MASM

No - it's not supposed to be a Masm-clone.

• dosfan01

dosfan01 - 2013-03-05

Dug up MASM 5.10 and checked, the SIB byte generation was indeed reversed. This was changed in MASM 6.0 and has remained the same ever since (at least through MASM 10.0). What is gained by having JWasm copy MASM 5.x behavior by default ?

• japheth

japheth - 2013-03-18

jwasm v2.10 will copy masm v6 behavior.

Just the code generation differences wouldn't have made me change it, but there are also parsing issues:

1. if both indexing registers are "assuming" something, it matters what's base and what's index.
    2. if a memory expression is an operand of OPATTR, it also matters what's base and what's index

• dosfan01

dosfan01 - 2013-03-23

Verified fixed in JWasm 2.10rc8