Menu

ELF mix 16 and 32 bit code

2009-09-11
2013-04-20
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Hi

I already posted my problem at http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2857010&group_id=255677&atid=1126896

I am not sure if it is actually something that is not supported yet. My point is that I want to be able to combine both 16-bit and 32-bit code together. I want to compile asm 16-bit code using jwasm and 32-bit using gcc. The object file format is elf. I know that such things are possible using gas assembler.

The current problem is "invalid fixup locations for elf" whenever I try to compile 16-bit code using 'jwasm -elf'. I guess there should be some way to compile non-relocatable elf object, so that we can avoid this problem. In this case of course I assume that I compile non-relocatable 16-bit code (1 object file) and then link it with 32-bit relocatable. Is it possible?

thanks.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Probably I was wrong about non-relocatable ELF -it is not the case since gas/gcc works perfectly with 16+32 mix of code even if it is not at some fixed location. However, still the question is how can I do what I described above?

• Nobody/Anonymous

JWasm didn't support the GNU ELF extensions for 8- and 16-bit relocations. It has been fixed.

japheth

• Nobody/Anonymous

But I am using the latest (2.0) version. Do you mean that the next version will support it?

Thank you!!

• Nobody/Anonymous

> But I am using the latest (2.0) version. Do you mean that the next version will support it?

"latest release" is v1.96. it will be contained in the next v2.0rc. It's a rather minor change.

japheth

• Nobody/Anonymous

thanks