Proxy issue "TypeError instance"

Help
Anonymous
2006-01-03
2013-04-24
  • Anonymous - 2006-01-03

I'm getting an "unexpected error, TypeError instance" when attempting to subscribe to a podcast or listing a podcast directory.

Yes, I have double-checked my proxy's set-up to make sure it's correct.  The proxy uses port 911 for through-traffic.  Other net apps seem to work correctly.  The problem appears to be only with Juice. 

Here's a clip from Juice's Log when attempting to open a list from the "Podcast directory" tab:

BasicGrabber 31941168 'http://www.podnova.com/xml_top40.opml' reports: This traceback is new to us:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "ipodder\grabbers.pyc", line 595, in _translateUsualDownloadErrors
      File "ipodder\grabbers.pyc", line 427, in _open_resource
      File "urllib2.pyc", line 326, in open
      File "urllib2.pyc", line 306, in _call_chain
      File "urllib2.pyc", line 491, in <lambda>
      File "urllib2.pyc", line 498, in proxy_open
    TypeError: iterable argument required

• Stephen Booth

Stephen Booth - 2007-02-07

I just started to get a similar error, after over a month of working with no problems.  It effects every feed I'm subscribed to and persists if I change to a different proxy.

For example (just checking one feed):
      ###############################################################################################################################
      BasicGrabber 32451376 u'http://www.manager-tools.com/podcasts/feed/rss2' reports: This traceback is new to us:
      FeedScanningJob 32509936 'Manager Tools' reports: Can't grab Manager Tools: unexpected error <exceptions.TypeError instance at 0x01F2ECB0>
      Pass #1: downloading feeds and looking for enclosures
      Figuring out which feeds to scan...
      We have one feed to scan.
      Scanning...
      BasicGrabber 32314384 u'http://www.manager-tools.com/podcasts/feed/rss2' reports: This traceback is new to us:
      FeedScanningJob 32316336 'Manager Tools' reports: Can't grab Manager Tools: unexpected error <exceptions.TypeError instance at 0x01F2EBE8>
      Pass #1 ended with 0 enclosures discovered.
      Pass #2: downloading enclosures...
      Filtering 0 discovered enclosures...
      0 enclosures need more work.
      Pass #2 ended.
      Starting auto cleanup.
      Finished auto cleanup.
      Compacting the history file with a threshold of 60 days.
      Last check completed at Wed Feb 07 10:39:54 2007
      BasicGrabber 32543632 u'http://www.manager-tools.com/podcasts/feed/rss2' reports: This traceback is new to us:
      FeedScanningJob 32543920 'Manager Tools' reports: Can't grab Manager Tools: unexpected error <exceptions.TypeError instance at 0x01F2E1C0>
      ############################################################################################################################################

I've tried reinstalling Juice but the error is still there.

As it's common accross all feeds (which come from different sources), different proxies (that connect to the internet via different ISPs) and is not fixed by a reinstall I'm thinking it's something a bit more subtle.

I'm running the current version, v2.2

Any suggestions on where I should look next?

Stephen

• PhareAtWork

PhareAtWork - 2007-09-10

I too was seeing this problem for, as far as I could tell - no discernible reason.  I Googled for the error message and found some references to other people having this issue with other Python apps.

This site:

https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?forum=18&topic_id=1036&viewmode=threaded

...suggested it might be possible to work around the issue by specifying the Proxy's port number on the same line as the Proxy's address - a la HOSTNAME:PORT_NUMBER.

I wasn't able to get this to work because Juice did input validation on the "Port" edit-box.  I figured it might be possible to edit Juice's configuration manually and make this work-around functional, but even if that worked - it'd be a pretty crappy fix because you might have to re-apply it if you ever try to change the preferences via the Juice UI.

At this point it became a personal challenge. :)

That URL above also made mention of the problem being addressed by a Python fix, so I set out to use an updated version of the urllib2 library where the exception occurred.  Unfortunately, I couldn't simply slip in the newest urllib2.pyc into the Library.zip file that resides in Juice's home directory.  [I guess the 2.3.5 code couldn't run with the 2.5.1 bytecode in the file...]

Next up, I tried building the most recent source code with the 2.3.5 compiler, but this didn't work either as ['guessing here...] I take it the syntax of the language changed a bit between the two versions.

So...I was finally able to get this to work by snipping out a couple of parts of the 2.3.5 source ~*~ and replacing them with the newest code from the 2.5.1 version of the file.  I then built it with the older compiler and replaced the .pyc file in the Library .zip file.

I could certainly understand the project admins not wanting to fork off from the official Python source code, but simply replacing that one file in the distribution might provide a quick-fix 'till you care to update Juice to use the latest version of Python.  Rebuilding that library isn't exactly difficult, but it's probably beyond a level of effort most people will care to put into getting Juice running.

~*~ -->

You'll need the new function:

def _parse_proxy(proxy)

...and the newer code from the function:

def proxy_open(self, req, proxy, type)

That's probably it, although I also got rid of the whole:

#bleck! don't use this yet
          class OpenerFactory:

...class definition that appears at the end of the 2.3.5 version of the urllib2.py file.

• Anonymous - 2010-05-02

I can confirm that this error "exceptions.TypeError …" can be fixed by changing the proxy settings

Before changing the proxy the error would persist even if Juice was told not to use a Proxy with the checkbox.

I changed my proxy string from - "proxy.myserver.lan"
    to - "http://proxy.myserver.lan:3128"

and I left the port setting to "3128"

and this cleared the error. I can now enable and disable the proxy correctly with the checkbox.

- M

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks