Boldsymbol

Help
2007-11-06
2013-04-29
  • Francois Levrier

I have an issue with boldsymbol. Putting something like $\boldsymbol{B}$ yields a nice result, but it seems that every formula after the first call to \boldsymbol{} is displayed in boldface - ie it does not revert to thin fonts. It's doing so on Safari and Firefox (I'm on Mac OS 10.4 btw) and I've installed the latest version of jsMath, but that seems to me like it's a bug.
    Otherwise great work, I'd been looking for nice/practical maths typesetting for the web for a while now!

FL

• Davide P. Cervone

The problem turns out to be caused by the asynchronous loading of the cmmib10 font during the first usage of \boldsymbol.  The \boldsymbol macro changes the current math fonts to their bold equivalents, processes the math inside the braces, and then sets the fonts back again.  But the first character that is taken from the cmmib10 font causes jsMath to load the definition file for cmmib10, and that cancels the processing of the current math expression and restarts it after the file is loaded.  That means the fonts were being left as the bold fonts inadvertently, since the \boldsymbol was cancelled, and so never was able to change back the fonts.

I have fixed the jsMath/extensions/boldsymbol.js file so that it properly resets the fonts in this situation and submitted it to the CVS repository.  You can get the latest version of it using cvs (if you have checked out jsMath through cvs) or via the web-based CVS browser at

http://jsmath.cvs.sourceforge.net/jsmath/jsMath/extensions/boldsymbol.js?view=log

Let me know if you continue to have troubles.

Davide

• Francois Levrier

It did fix the issue, but it seems that every time I reload the page, I now get a message saying something along the lines of "Javascript restart" and I have to click "OK".

FL

• Davide P. Cervone

OOPS!  Sorry, I accidentally left a debugging alert in the code.  How embarrassing!  I have removed it, so try the current CVS version.

Davide

• Francois Levrier

Perfect! Thanks and great job!

FL

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks