Append signature and cert level problem

Help
2011-04-20
2013-04-25
  • Aleksandar Stojsavljevic

Hi again.

Here is another issue with certification levels.

After I sign document with certification level "Form filling allowed" or "Form filling and annotations allowed" I should be able to add another signature. But when I add another signature - first signature becomes invalid (according to Adobe Reader). I tried to add second signature with some other tool (PDF Signer Demo from www.signfiles.com) and I got valid signatures. Definitely it's a bug…

If I create first signature with cert level "Not certified" - everything is OK.

• Josef Cacek

Josef Cacek - 2011-04-27

Hello Aleksandar,
    Do you know from where comes the bug?

I have no idea. I've just noticed this behavior.

• Josef Cacek

Josef Cacek - 2011-04-30

I've tried it now and the problem is only in case the second signature is certified too.
    It the second is not certified then both are valid.
    But if the second is certified, then the first is somehow damaged - even the signature name is broken.

That's right (except that I don't see that signature name is broken).
    I think we should fix this bug ASAP.

I've investigated this further…
    First I haven't noticed that certification level of second signature is important. Now considering that fact I see that behavior is the same with all tools I tried (JSignPDF, some desktop tools and one online system).
    So, this is not a desired behavior, but also it's not a bug.
    Only thing we can do is to detect if input file is already signed with some certification level and disable setting of certification level (or at least warn user). But it’s not so important…

• Anonymous - 2011-05-24

Hi,
      I got same problem: after signing 2 times a pdf with same certificate, I get: invalid signature message. which option I have to set to avoid this message? It's a bug?
    thanks a lot
    Claudio

First go to "Advanced view" (checkbox in upper right corner). Then for "Certification level" select "Not certified". After that sign your files…

• Anonymous - 2011-05-24

thanks stojsavljevic
      I'm working with command line commands. the "Certification level" =  "Not certified" shall be set on first signature or on second one or both?

thanks a lot
    Claudio

"Certification level" = "Not certified" sould be set at least on one of the signatures (no matter if it is first or second). But I recommend you to always use "Not certified".

• Anonymous - 2011-05-24

i set -cl NOT_CERTIFIED option and I don't get error when file is opened but, on signature image i have 2 icons ("v", "x")
    a green "v" and a red "x". It seems that there is something wrong already.
    any suggest?

thanks

I don't know what's wrong. I've just tried (with version 1.1.1) and it worked. Here is what I did (java version is 1.6.11 x86):
    I signed original file with:

java -jar JSignPdf.jar -kst WINDOWS-MY -cl NOT_CERTIFIED <path_to_original_pdf >

And then:

java -jar JSignPdf.jar -kst WINDOWS-MY -cl NOT_CERTIFIED -a <path_to_signed_pdf >