J. Terry Corbet - 2005-08-16

I have been developing/testing my JNLP application for about four months using the version of jRegistry made available from your other site in 2001.  My environment is Windows 2K Server -- it has worked just fine for my simple need to access Internet Explorer's Start Page.

A user running XP [I confess that I don't know if it is Home or Professional, or if that matters], however, gets:
#### Error retrieving registry value

When I went back to the original download site, I found that there had been activity and that now I could see the .cpp code where you issue this error message even though you do raise a RegistryException for me to catch and deal with.

So, now I am using the binaries that have a date in May of this year, but my test bed fails with:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchFieldError: m_root

and I see some comments about recent changes regarding that field in your code.

Actually, to be more precise, I can run a stand-alone test with your old code or your new code that succeeds.  With the old code, however, in a production environment where your code is bundled in JNLP, it fails on an XP platform, but succeeds on W2K.
With the new code, it fails when testing in Eclipse.

I don't know JNI -- what initialization is requires -- but it seems as if the difference is in some initialization that is responsible for making "m_root" visible to the JVM.

Any suggestions on trouble shooting would be most appreciated.