Menu

Jreepad 1.6 RC3 bug reports & feature requests

dosman33
2017-03-31
2018-03-13
  • dosman33

dosman33 - 2017-03-31

Greetings,
    I know this is long in the tooth and unlikely to be fixed, but I thought it was worth mentioning should development pop back up.

First, I'm greatful that 1.6RC3 for OSX was posted as that seems to be the only version that works correctly for OSX Yosemite. I fear for future versions of OSX breaking Jreepad once again.

Bug 1: The OSX package claims it's version 1.6RC3, but when installed Jreepad says 1.6 RC1.

Bug 2: Once Jreepad / .hjt files get to about 2.2MB in size or larger, it will intermittently cause Jreepad to loose it's mind. The symptom of this is that when you try to save, it goes into forever-wait with the cursor. Every time you try to exit OR open a new .hjt file it again asks if you wish to save your current document (since the initial save did not finish). Wash, rinse, repeat. If you force Jreepad to close or open a new document without saving, all changes in the previously open document are lost. But that's not all, once you hit this condition you need to close out Jreepad and restart it or else you will have this same condition on all future documents you open (regardless of their size).

The workaround is to prevent .hjt files from ever getting above 2MB in size. It's not the end of the world to split up documents. However, due to the fact that only one instance of Jreepad can be open at once on a system it makes life more difficult than it needs to be.

Bug 3: "Open recent" document list behaves badly now. The behavior of the "open recent" document list in version 1.6 is different than all prior versions. Often I find the most recent document I've opened is not in the list. Not always, just 80% of the time. At first this might seem like a silly issue to even mention, however due to the fact that only 1 instance of Jreepad can be open at once it means I context switch between the same documents A LOT. Combined with Bug 2 that means even more documents to switch between.

The workaround has been to keep all Jreepad files in the same folder. Having to scope down and locate files in different locations on every context switch is not doable. Personally, the subjects of my files are quite different and I'd prefer to not group them like this, but it makes this problem easier to deal with as the open-recent list is worthless now.

Feature requests

Auto-save: It would be nice to be able to configure Jreepad to just auto-save when switching to a new Jreepad file without asking first. I appreciate the "do you want to save" pop-up was a feature added by request. However taking it further it would be nice to not be bothered by the extra pop-up. When you switch files dozens of times a day it adds up. Combine bugs 2 & 3 above, it makes for even more wasted cycles.