OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Paasswordsafe 7.0

Help
2009-09-02
2012-09-17
  • Mathew Legge

Mathew Legge - 2009-09-02

So I just upgraded to snow leopard and the passwordsafe would not startup when I clicked on the icon. So opened up an xterm window and found the error why it didn't start. It was not able to find a 64bit SWT native library.

I'm writing this to help others. As I surfed the web and source forge for advice. I also read the apple developer documentation. To fix it ...

The java password safe is a java app using the swt graphic library and as such has native code. This is where the problem has started for me after my upgrade. The new OSX java environment supports both 64 and 32 Bit Java Virtual machines. As this program is not pure java it therefore will unfortunately always suffer from complications that make it not as cross platform as one would like.

That said There are a number of things one can do to work around it. The approach which has worked for me is just to get the 32Bit VM to run the application as before. (Note i see this is a temporary work around until a tested 64bit package is available)

Step 1 Open a Terminal window.
    Step 2 change directory into the passwrdsafe app.

eg > cd /Applications/PasswordSafeSWT.app/Contents

Step 3 Using VI as remove too lines from the Info.plist the Java version section

sudo vi Info.plist

<key>JVMVersion</key>
    <string>1.5</string>
    Step 4 save file and run the passwordsafe

• Syd Seale

Syd Seale - 2009-09-17

What I did was add another key and string so that it uses the 1.6 JVM in
    32-bit mode...

<key>JVMVersion</key>

<string>1.5+</string>

<key>JVMArchs</key>

<string>i386</string>

I'm not sure if either way is better, but thought I would add that as another
    approach.

• David

David - 2009-10-14

Thanks for your suggestions!

I included the JVMArchs key in the new 0.8 beta 2 release, so it should work
    on Mac OS X "out of the box".

This new version of PasswordSafe SWT should run with Java 1.6 where available,
    maybe someone could check this.

• codeautom8r

codeautom8r - 2009-10-20

I just downloaded the 0.8 beta 2 and it wouldn't run on Snow Leopard. I had to
    go in and change the JVMVersion key to "1.5+" instead of
    "1.5*".

• David

David - 2009-10-20

Thanks for your feedback, we'll try to fix that as soon as possible.

• David

David - 2009-11-12

fixed, download PasswordSafeSWT-0.8-beta2a.dmg instead

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks