Symbol Font issue

Help
nipps
2012-06-02
2013-04-17
  • nipps

nipps - 2012-06-02

I have the case where some characters are displayed incorrectly. I already have examined that characters of the Symbol font are interchanged, e.g. C 172 ; arrowleft with C 216 ; logicalnot. It seems that s050000l.pfb is loaded correctly. You can see this in the following example:
    http://www.file-upload.net/download-4410201/11.pdf.html

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-06-11

I'm sorry i will not spend any more time downloading things from dubious spamming sites. Provide more information on some other channel.

Did you ensure that the "reference" Adobe Reader displays what you expected to see?

• nipps

nipps - 2012-06-13

I'm using a windows platform. The text contains symbols of the Symbol font. Type: TrueType. As far as I can see the file Temp\de.intarsys.tools.file.TempTools_0\dir1fonts.list\s050000l.pfb is used for that font.

Figure 1 shows how Adobe Reader displays the text, as expected:

Figure 2 shows how jPodRenderer displays the text:

Why not first trying to load missing fonts from system font directory?

• nipps

nipps - 2012-06-13

since I cannot edit my post…

Figure 1 shows how Adobe Reader displays the text, as expected:

Figure 2 shows how jPodRenderer displays the text:

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-06-14

A quick view on the 3rd party (courtesy of URW++) font seems to be correct.

So, as you state, this seems to be related to font resolution. This is quite a dark art in PDF and i really need to debug this in reality. If this is really a TT font, the Type 1 Symbol should only be loaded as a fallback. The initial search uses a lot of heuristics, so to know why this fails i need more:

- the PDF to see the original declaration and encodings
    - the font on your system that claims to be the TT Symbol font to see why resolution fails

Maybe then i can track it down. If you can't append it any more, then create a new case and append a zip containing the resources. The download site you used initially gave me a bunch of download links, each trying to inject me an "exe" file…

• nipps

nipps - 2012-06-14

Sorry for the bad site. I did not realized any popups or injections, since I have popup blockers installed. Now the download should work fine. I have zipped various documents with working Symbol font and the one which is incorrectly displayed. Hope this helps.

http://schicket.de/z8J4/font_issue.zip

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-06-14

great, download succesful, will have a look.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-06-19

Many thanks for your testcase. I checked your files and it seems that the current version can't reproduce (at least on my machine) this error. I hope this is good news (and not some strange platform dependent error) and will try to find some time as soon as possible to upload a new release.

• nipps

nipps - 2012-06-20

thanks, I'm waiting for the new release :)

• mtraut

mtraut - 2012-06-26

Hi there. Finally found a true bug. I could not reproduce your problem because when testing, my windows platform fonts were already loaded! This is an optimization bug that should be fixed with the release i provided today.

Anyway: Be warned that the file in question will still not be able to be displayed on a non windows platform, as the Symbol True Type font won't be there. Font embedding is a good practice.

• nipps

nipps - 2012-06-26

If you run jPod on Java 7 you get a unresolved compilation problem in:
    de.intarsys.cwt.font.FontEnvironment.getSystemFontDirectories()

this is caused by the line:

definition = FontManager.getFontPath(true);

since FontManager is now an interface.

On a Java 7 machine this should be:

definition = sun.font.SunFontManager.getInstance().getPlatformFontPath(true);

• mtraut

mtraut - 2012-06-27

Thx for the hint.

Java 7 is not a supported platform for our systems and as such not available for jPod, but we try to get the migration of our software platform for the next major release this year.

If you do some task here upfront, feel free to support us with

- patches
    - reports

Thank you!