Why does it not open any other images after..

jason404
2011-03-16
2012-12-08
  • jason404

jason404 - 2011-03-16

I am using JPEGView on a USB flash drive, from PortableApps.  I have associated the file types using PortableFileAssociator.

When I have JPEGView open, viewing an image file, nothing happens when I click on another image file.  I was expecting the second file to open in the viewer.  Instead, I have to drag that file onto the viewer to view it, or close the viewer and then double click on the second image.

Is this expected behaviour, or has this something to do with the way the PortableApps version works?

Thanks.

• David Kleiner

David Kleiner - 2011-03-16

This is a bug in 1.0.22 that has been fixed in 1.0.23.
    However there is no PortableApps version of 1.0.23 yet.
    So you either have to wait until they release such a version or alternatively use the normal 1.0.23 version.
    JPEGView can be made portable using the INI file: In the JPEGView.ini file (the one located in the folder where JPEGView.exe is located), change the setting StoreToEXEPath to true (default is false):
    StoreToEXEPath=true

David

• jason404

jason404 - 2011-03-17

Hi David, thanks for the explanation.

I tried dropping in the .exe into my PA folder, but it seems that all the application files are different, even though the version number suggests that it is only a minor update.

I think I will live with the small inconvenience until it is updated at PortableApps.

• jason404

jason404 - 2011-03-17

JPEGView has been updated to 1.0.23. at PortableApps, but this behaviour still continues.  When I double click on another image file while the viewer is already open, nothing happens.

• David Kleiner

David Kleiner - 2011-03-19

Then it's a bug of the PortableApps wrapper. The standalone version does not show this problem with 1.0.23 anymore - I just tested it and it's working ok.
    Note that in windowed mode, a new instance of JPEGView is created when double clicking another image file (to allow having multiple opened images simultaneously). In full screen mode, only one instance is allowed and the new image opens in this instance.
    I tried out the PortableApps version - it uses windowed mode and thus should open another instance of JPEGView. However there seems to go something wrong  - please report the problem to the PortableApps project.

David

• jason404

jason404 - 2011-03-21

PS.  Personally, I would prefer it if JPEGView could be set to use the same viewer window, to have the same behaviour as Windows picture viewer.

• Simeon

Simeon - 2011-03-21

I am the dev of the portable version. Thanks for letting me know over at portableapps. I'll try to check here more often in the future.
    Regarding the problem, that was the portable version preventing more than one portable instance. If the ini entry is changed, it will open every picture in a separate window as the local version does. I put this into my local version so it should be the standard once the next release is out (or you change it yourself).

• jason404

jason404 - 2011-07-05

@David
    Arr there any plans to include an option where the windowed mode opens pictures in the existing viewer instance, like Windows default picture viewer?

• David Kleiner

David Kleiner - 2011-07-08

I personally like to have multiple instances in windowed mode, so it would not be the default option.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks