We are currently in the process of doing some more updates to the core. This will include using different help servers depending on the language being used. Also we are in the process of setting up a Mongolian language help server with all of the new help documentation translated for 1.0.12.
It just came to my attention that the download link was to a corrupt package. I have fixed this problem and now Joomla! International edition is ready to be downloaded. Sorry for any inconvenience this caused anybody.
With bug fixes and additional functionality, Joomla! International Edition Alpha 1.1 is ready for download. This Alpha release includes the last of the functionality additions. It now includes dynamic Mambot XML language switching. Look for a sample language pack and Beta release soon!
I have added some new information to the language pack creation document (Available in the documents section) and have cleaned up the formatting. We are fixing bugs every day on the International Edition and hope to have a new Alpha version 1.2 up by the end of the week.
I just put up instructions on how to create a customized Joomla! International edition package. It also includes a list of all of the language/xml/installation files that need to be modified to support your language. Good Luck!
Our first release candidate is ready!
-Administrative backend has been fully "variablized" including menus, buttons and error messages.
-XML files can now be created in any language and the system chooses which files to use based on the current language. This is important for module/component parameters to be correctly translated
-The language switching component works great in the administrator
-A language file has been created for the installation process. (Users will be able to install in the language of their choice). There is NO support for language switching during installation. Basically whichever language file is used in the package, that is the language that will be displayed (but only during installation, afterwards the administrator interface still supports it)
-The installation language files have a variable for database encoding, which defaults to UTF-8
-joomla.php has been changed per the "hack" needed to support UTF-8 encoding.
The work on adding multi-lingual support for Joomla! backend components is finished and we have created a module for dynamically switching the administrator language. This works on a per-session basis which enables people who speak different languages to use the same administration interface on Joomla! projects.