Cannot obtain unrar version on Mandriva linux

Robert Lee
2007-02-13
2013-04-24
  • Robert Lee

Robert Lee - 2007-02-13

Hi there,

I have tried the latest 0.9.24 version on my Linux box: Mandriva 2007 with kernel 2.6.17-5, but I had problem with "unrar" detection.

According to the readme guide, "rar" must be available in $PATH environment, and I am sure that is the case on my machine:

[user@machine /tmp] which unrar
    /usr/local/bin/unrar
    [user@machine /tmp] unrar

UNRAR 3.60 freeware      Copyright (c) 1993-2006 Alexander Roshal

Usage:     unrar <command> -<switch 1> -<switch N> <archive> <files...>
                   <@listfiles...> <path_to_extract\&gt;

However, I still got the "cannot obtain unrar version" warning when I started jomic. And I got the same result by either using the generic java-installer or the generic jar file.

I have been using jomic since version 0.9.20, and it seemed to me that this problem has been there since the version 0.9.21, which is the reason I am still using version 0.9.21.

Any idea about something wrong I have possibly done?

• Thomas Aglassinger

As of version 0.9.23 (or something), Jomic requires unrar 3.5 (because that's the first version allowing to extract only selected files from an archive). That's why a version check has been added.

To obtain the version of unrar, Jomic launches "unrar" without any options, which shows the help text including the version number. Doing this causes unrar 3.5 to return an exit code 0.

For some reason, unrar 3.6 returns an exit code 7. Jomic regards anything but 0 a error, and so gives up obtaining the unrar version.

This issue has been fixed in the SVN repository. I tried to do a nightly build with it, but the shell service is down right now - so no luck with that for now.

Cheers, Thomas.

• Thomas Aglassinger

Ok, it's fixed.

You can download a nightly build, or get the changes from the repository, or wait for version 0.9.25 (which won't be up before late March though).

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks