I found joe in my quest for a WordStar compatable editor for Linux. One thing that drives me NUTs are editors that claim to be WordStar compatable, but are not.

Joe's WS compatability is pretty good, better than most, but not perfect.  I have "fixed" several things in the default jstarrc file, but have some questions:

^U "undoes" ^Y.  ONCE.  In WS, it would perform the undo of ^Y as many times as you wanted. Can this be fixed in the rc file?

TAB key.  When insert is off (overwrite mode), the TAB key should function as a cursor move key, NOT insert/replace the current character with a tab. In insert mode, of course, it inserts
a tab.  Can this be fixed?

Ditto for the return key (This is NOT a WS feature, but I like things this way), with insert
OFF, return is just a cursor motion key.  In fact, I'd further like it such that if insert is ON, hitting return turns it off and then simply moves the cursor.

Yes, I type 99.999999999999% of the time with insert OFF.  I've been doing it that way since 1978 and WS 3.0!

Can these issues be 'fixed' via clever .rc file hacks, or is it time to obtain the sources and fix things at that level? Any pointers would be appreciated!

-Zorba