Hi Nico,

running only the check-executables from build-i18n, with -v I get ( using the original xml file from the repository) the results below. When using -debug I get a lot longer output for which the only seemingly important part that is new may be the line:
Loaded from /Users/rkanters/Projects/Eclipse/Jmol/jars/ant-contrib.jar net/sf/antcontrib/platform/ShellScriptTask.class

Here is the -v output...
Apache Ant version 1.6.5 compiled on June 2 2005
Buildfile: /Users/rkanters/Projects/Eclipse/Jmol/build-i18n.xml
parsing buildfile /Users/rkanters/Projects/Eclipse/Jmol/build-i18n.xml with URI = file:///Users/rkanters/Projects/Eclipse/Jmol/build-i18n.xml
Project base dir set to: /Users/rkanters/Projects/Eclipse/Jmol
parsing buildfile jar:file:/Users/rkanters/Projects/Eclipse/Jmol/jars/ant-contrib.jar!/net/sf/antcontrib/antlib.xml with URI = jar:file:/Users/rkanters/Projects/Eclipse/Jmol/jars/ant-contrib.jar!/net/sf/antcontrib/antlib.xml
Build sequence for target(s) `check-executables' is [check-executables]
Complete build sequence is [check-executables, create-application-pot, create-applet-pot, update-application-po, update-applet-catalog-lang, clean-application-pot, clean-application-catalogs, clean-applet-catalogs, clean-catalogs, spotless-i18n, clean-applet-pot, clean-pot, update-application-catalog, update-application-catalog-lang, update-applet-po, update-po, update-applet-catalog, update-catalog, copy-i18n-classes, update-application-po-lang, init-i18n, update-pot, main-i18n, clean-i18n, shrink-pot-file, update-applet-po-lang, ]
check-executables:
     [exec] Current OS is Mac OS X
     [exec] Output redirected to property: ouput_xgettext
     [exec] Executing 'xgettext' with arguments:
     [exec] '--help'
     [exec] 
     [exec] The ' characters around the executable and arguments are
     [exec] not part of the command.
     [exec] Execute failed: java.io.IOException: xgettext: not found
Property ${result_xgettext} has not been set
     [echo] xgettext is missing
     [exec] Current OS is Mac OS X
     [exec] Output redirected to property: ouput_msgmerge
     [exec] Executing 'msgmerge' with arguments:
     [exec] '--help'
     [exec] 
     [exec] The ' characters around the executable and arguments are
     [exec] not part of the command.
     [exec] Execute failed: java.io.IOException: msgmerge: not found
Property ${result_msgmerge} has not been set
     [echo] msgmerge is missing
     [exec] Current OS is Mac OS X
     [exec] Output redirected to property: ouput_msgfmt
     [exec] Executing 'msgfmt' with arguments:
     [exec] '--help'
     [exec] 
     [exec] The ' characters around the executable and arguments are
     [exec] not part of the command.
     [exec] Execute failed: java.io.IOException: msgfmt: not found
Property ${result_msgfmt} has not been set
     [echo] msgfmt is missing
Property ${exist_xgettext} has not been set
Property ${exist_msgmerge} has not been set
Property ${exist_msgfmt} has not been set
BUILD SUCCESSFUL
Total time: 1 second


The OS name I get os.name:Mac OS X'.

I did some additional testing myself. I added the external program /usr/bin/ant (my default commanline ant) to the external Tools. This has the same problems, still, as the 1.6.5 built-in. So it looks like Eclipse does not pass my path to either...

René

On Sep 28, 2005, at 12:33 AM, Nicolas Vervelle wrote:

Hi René,



René Kanters wrote:


Hi Nico,

I replied to Daniel's message regarding this a bit earlier. From what  he wrote and the test he suggested, it looks like the problem stems  from Eclipse.

I just retrieve the original build files from CVS, and ant (my  version in OS X is 1.6.2) works with the original CVS build-i18n.xml  file. It is just Eclipse that doesn't seem to know my path. Since you  are the Eclipse guru, maybe you know where I may have a setting wrong  there...


Could you try running Ant from Eclipse with the flag -debug or -v (remove the -Dgettext_path)
and send me the output of build-i18n.xml ?

Yesterday, I had a look at the source code for the <exec> task in Ant.
It's quite a mess and highly dependent on the OS.
It appears that it's not always directly running xgettext, but maybe trying to run it through ${ant.home}/bin/antRun.
With the log output, it will tell us which method Ant is trying to use.

When you're running Jmol, you should get a line concerning os.name in the output.
What result do you get ?
I have: os.name:Windows 2000
Depending on this value, Ant will use different methods in the <exec> task


The -Dgettext_path=/usr/local/bin/ method you suggest with the  modification in the build-i18n.xml file does indeed work.
So I could upload this modification to the xml file, but on the other  hand, I feel like Eclipse should be able to do the right thing from  the get go (without having to change things that do work for other  people).
I assume that your install of eclipse id not giving you these  problems, so it may be just me...


I agree, this modification is only a last solution if we can't find a better one.
(On the other hand, this modification can also be useful for systems having gettext tools but not in the path).
I don't think it's your install, it's probably more a problem with Eclipse under OS X, I hope we can tell with the logs.

Nicolas




-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads, discussions,
and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl
_______________________________________________
Jmol-developers mailing list
Jmol-developers@lists.sourceforge.net
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jmol-developers