Jintilla as a plug-in for Eclipse

Help
andy_sfnet
2005-03-01
2013-03-07
  • andy_sfnet

andy_sfnet - 2005-03-01

what about a "Executable Jar File" of Jintilla as a plug-in to extend the object model of Eclipse ?

Azureus, using the same/similar Java platforms/techniques is very easily extendable just dropping a Executable Jar File into a directory of Azureus.

Why not offer Scintilla/Jintilla this way as an embedded editor in Eclipse ?

By this the "Component Object Model"

http://www.activevb.de/tutorials/tut_middleware/middleware3.html

from Microsoft would be obsolet.

May be http://sourceforge.net/projects/jintilla/ is already the beginning to this.

Is it difficult to adopt the source code from jintilla for reuse with Plug-in Development Environment (PDE), a tool that is designed to assist developers in the creation, development, testing, debugging, and deployment of Eclipse plug-ins ?

http://help.eclipse.org/help30/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.help.base/doc/help_home.html

I know writing some scripts in Visual Basic Scripting for the WSH and shell scripts for Linux, but creation of plug-ins in Java is too difficult for me.

Is it possible to get a "Executable Jar File" of Jintilla as a plug-in to extend the object model of Eclipse ?

Or is it possible to use the files, one of the files

\jintilla-swt-0.5-win32\jintilla-swt\resources\scijni.dll
    \jintilla-swt-0.5-win32\jintilla-swt\resources\scilexer.dll

directly somehow as plug-in for Eclipse ?

Think about Scintilla/Jintilla as a plug-in to extend the object model of Eclipse making Scintilla/Jintilla an embedded editor to Eclipse. This would be very interesting.

Best regards

AW

• Nathan Sweet

Nathan Sweet - 2005-03-01

What makes you think "creation of plug-ins in Java is too difficult" for you? It isn't that bad. :) You've got to start somewhere!

Regarding an Eclipse plugin, I have definitely had this thought. I do believe that Scintilla is a superior source editing control than what Eclipse uses. Scintilla is much more configurable. However, if you have used Eclipse extensively then you know that there is currently a lot of functionality there, especially for Java development. It would most likely be a massive amount of work to replicate with Scintilla.

As of yet, I have not done any Eclipse plugins. It may be easier than it first appears to drop in Scintilla. I would love to hear from someone with more Eclipse plugin experience. However, I am pretty sure it is a huge task if the goal is to replicate everything the stock editor can do. And if we lose features then I don't think it is worth doing.

For example, SlickEdit is a very popular source editor. They have an Eclipse plugin that, last time I looked at it, did not have nearly as many features as the stock Java editor. Because of this it just isn't a viable replacement for Java development.

One thing that Eclipse is lacking is an XML editor. Scintilla could probably fill this niche quite well. Scintilla would also be adequate for many other non-Java languages that Eclipse currently has little or no support for. So there is still some value of a Scintilla Eclipse plugin, even if it can't replace the stock Java editor. At the very least, it should be pretty easy to create a plugin that uses Scintilla for XML files and this would be a great first step towards completely replacing the stock editor.

I would love to add an Eclipse plugin to the Jintilla project. I currently have many other projects going on and I don't see myself having the resources to research this further for quite some time. However, I will gladly accept any code contributions.

• andy_sfnet

andy_sfnet - 2005-03-20

Hi

Thanks for yr answer.

>Scintilla would also be adequate for many other non-Java languages that Eclipse currently has little or no support for.

That's exactely what I am looking for and the reason I arrived at Jintilla.

Some good news for yr convenience.

I restarted to learn some more about Java.

I have several books about programming with JAVA I restarted to read. One I am about to finish, but it will still be a long way until the abiltity to create plugins for Eclipse.

Thanks again.

Best regards

AW

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks