Java Studio Creator/JAAS

2006-08-09
2013-05-08
  • Greg Ederer

Greg Ederer - 2006-08-09

Hi,

The Java Studio Creator (JSC) developers recommend that JSC users use JAAS to secure their apps. They offer an example application that demonstrates authentication, but not authorization (and it's pretty crude compared to jGuard).

The JSC forums are clogged with messages asking how to do JAAS with Creator. If you would like to grab a large number of new jGuard users, you might consider posting a sample application that integrates with JSC (I am clumsily trying to achieve this integration myself).

Thanks for this great library!

Cheers,

Greg

• Charles Lescot

Charles Lescot - 2006-08-10

Hi Greg,
      thank you for this report!
      i've never heard abbout this JAAS exemple from the java studio creator team, and the related posts.

you're right, we need to advertise this community about jGuard.
      jGuard will save a lot of time for them.

we plan to provide shortly a jguard-jsf-example (we provide only a jguard-struts-example).
      we've not started to do it.
      are you interested to join the team and participate on its building?
      (for example, based on your example).

cheers,

Charles.

• Brian Gregg

Brian Gregg - 2006-08-11

Charles,

Any information you could send on how to integrate this into JSC would be great.  To let you know - JSC uses Sun Java System Application Server Platform Edition 8.2 as it's "application Server".  So any information you have that is related to that should apply here.  I'm trying to integrate jguard into a JSC application here and don't belive I'm getting anywhere.

Thanks,
        Brian.

• Greg Ederer

Greg Ederer - 2006-08-12

Hi Charles,

I would be more than happy to contribute my solution. I almost have it working (been traveling the past couple of days). I hope to have jGuard+JSC fully functional by early next week. Maybe I could then turn it over to you for review? I would then want to give the JSC developers an opportunity to poke at it and make suggestions.

I think that a clear, concise tutorial accompanied by a fully worked example would be very well received by the community. I would be happy to work on it, and appreciate your interest!

Cheers,

Greg

• Greg Ederer

Greg Ederer - 2006-08-12

Hi Brian,

I am using Tomcat with JSC at the moment; so, my example would probably use Tomcat (though, it could easily be adapted). The Sun server that ships with JSC is a full version behind the current release. Even PE 9, the current release, is not widely used.

Is 8.2 actually your target platform, or are you just using it because it ships with JSC?

Cheers,

Greg

• Charles Lescot

Charles Lescot - 2006-08-14

hi brian and Greg,
        jguard have been widely tested on Tomcat with success.
        Sun java application server has not been tested widely, but i remind one user which has successfully tested it.
        very shortly, some enhancements will be added for an easier support od multiple j2ee application servers.
        with the current release, if you use sn java app server/glassfish, with the security manager enabled, you need to specify by jvm parameters, the jGuard policy.
        otherwise, it will be added automatically by jguard.
        what a good news Greg, about contributing your solution!
        unfortunately, i will not be closed a computer this week....
        :-(
        so, i will be happy to talk about it in a week.
        and Brian, i will be happy too to help you to solve your problem, but also in the same delay(sorry for the inconvenience..).

cheers,

Charles.

• Greg Ederer

Greg Ederer - 2006-08-14

Hi,

I have jGuard working with JSF+Creator. This required a very minor change to the source of AccessFilter. I want to test the solution a bit more before I release it.

Also, I take back what I said about the Sun server. I didn't realize that this is the Glassfish server. I will get my solution working with the Sun server 8.1.

Soon (September?), Creator will be released as a plugin for Netbeans 5.5. I would love, when this happens, to create a tool using Netbeans UML facility that allows for assigning security roles to use cases visually. Some MDA tools already support this capability.

Have a nice vacation, Charles!

Cheers,

Greg

• Charles Lescot

Charles Lescot - 2006-08-18

Hi Greg,
            that's a great news!!
            some questions:
            what kind of changes have you done?
            are you using maven2 ?
            if you are ok, i will be happy to add you to the jguard team (with commit rights).

cheers,

Charles.