Menu

Where is the code?

2008-01-02
2013-01-03
  • Brian Hawkins

Brian Hawkins - 2008-01-02

Is the code checked into a sourceforge repository?

The reason I ask is that I have a change I wanted to diff against the trunk and post for possible inclusion.  So that begs the question how do you want changes?

Brian

• Martin Jericho

Martin Jericho - 2008-01-03

Hi Brian,

The code is not in any repository as I am the sole developer.

It is quite easy to create your own local repository to merge your changes in to a later version of the library, or just use a diff tool such as KDiff3 to highlight where your code differs from the trunk.

The first step however would be to post a description of your changes and make a case for their inclusion in the core library.  Then you can just email me any source files.

Cheers
      Martin

• Brian Hawkins

Brian Hawkins - 2008-01-03

This is what I've changed.  In the OutputDocument class I added a method called setIgnoreOverlap().  It does just what it says.

Without my changes the code works like this.  Take the following document:
      <tag1><tag2/></tag1>

If I first replace <tag2/> with "bob" and then I replace the entire tag1 element segment with "hi".  When writing out the new document I would get "hibob".  With my change - and after I called setIgnoreOverlap() - the output would be "hi".  I have all kinds of reasons for wanting the output this way but I will not go into them here.

So the reasons for wanting this in the core library are:
      1. I don't want to keep track of this change ;)
      2. It is a nice feature to have.
      3. It does not break existing code that uses the OutputDocument class.
      4. As you can imagine the change is relatively simple.

Brian

• Martin Jericho

Martin Jericho - 2008-01-03

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I can't see any reason why this behaviour shouldn't be automatic rather that requiring a call to a setIgnoreOverlap() method.  Since overlapping output segments are currently documented as producing "unexpected results", it is probably safe to assume that there are no programs relying on the current behaviour.

I will make the change in the 2.6-dev package and let you know when it is publicly available (probably within the next few days).

Cheers
        Martin