I figured out, that a find-previous command did not work.
A forward search with Ctrl-f and subsequent find-next commands work well.
I am working with Jedit 4.5pre1 on Windows.
Can anybody confirm this behavior?
To reproduce the behavior, do a hyper search, followed by several find-next commands. This works fine. But command find-previous does not jump as expected to the previous match.
I don't see this problem on my Mac. What settings do you have in the search dialog? How are you activating Find Previous? By the menu item or shortcut?
find-previous does not work if you have regex search enabled.
I have written a step-by-step description how I can reproduce the behavior. Here we go:
(1) start Jedit without plugins "jedit -noplugins"
(2) Open some buffers.
(3) Press Ctrl-E Ctrl-D ("Search in Directory" dialog appears)
(4) Enter a string that can be found multiple times in the opened buffer. Activate this options: "Search in: All buffers", "Settings: Hyper Search". Setting regular expression is not selected. Finally, start the search.
(5) Click on menu Search>Find Next: As expected the cursor jumps to next match.
(6) Click on menu Search>Find Previous: The cursor jumps not to the previous match. Instead of this it jumps to the next one.
Im am working with Jedit 4.5pre2 on Windows XP.
A simple search in the buffer currently active (without hyper search) works in both directions.
@echo68: I see the problem now. It looks like this is mostly a missing feature rather than a bug: reverse search is specifically ignored if the current search spans more than one file. For the present, it would probably be better if there was a beep and a status message shown if you attempted to reverse search, rather than just ignoring the setting.
@Alan: I don't think that's true any more. It just does a forward search and returns the last result, which is slow, but it does work.
I really miss this function in Jedit. I think you know that other editors like Emacs or Vim can go through the search results in both directions, even when the search result includes several files.
I would like to push this to the feature request list. What do you think?
Feature added in r20610.
Log in to post a comment.