If you have \" in a text string in a Unix Shell Script file (.sh) then the colour highlighting gets confused.
This example works fine in jEdit 4.2 but is a bug introduced by jEdit 4.3 Pre 9, where the problem does exist.
To reproduce this problem do the following, the test in jEdit 4.2 is optional:
- load jEdit 4.2
- save the new file as test.sh
- type the following lines of shell script
variable1="this is some text"
variable2="text with a \" in it"
variable3="and more text"
- save the changes to the file
- observe that the variable names before the = sign are green, the equals sign is black and the double quote characters and the text between them are purple
- now load the file up in jEdit Pre 9
- observe that the \" on the second lines acts like a string terminator and the highlighting goes wrong from here on
This problem does make editing shell script files quite confusing as the whole file from \" onwards is impacted.
Log in to post a comment.