Menu

A simple example to understand DNP3 protocol

2016-11-05
2016-12-10
  • Siddharth Chhokar

Hello,
    I have been searching over net for a basic example to understand DNP3 protocol.
    I am newbie here. I have found that this protocol includes many features as compared to Modbus protocol but could you share a basic example of Master and outstation simulator talking each other over TCP/IP, to understand DNP3 protocol ?

Also, if possible please share set of some Java APIs which can be used to create a Master and outstation simulator program implementing DNP3 protocol.

Any information, any important document or link would also be very helpfull.

Thanks
    Siddharth

• Graeme Farquharson

Hi Siddharth,

Thanks for your post. It is a fairly big question. I would highly recommend starting by reading the DNP3 standard IEEE 1815-2012. Unfortunately I cannot link to this as it is copyright and not freely available. It is possible that your company or university may already have a subscription by which you caan obtain a copy of this standard.

I would avoid jumping to code right away. Instead, download a simulator like this one or use OpenDNP3 examples. These will help you simulate outstations (end devices). There is no need to simulate a master station, use a real one. Try either OpenDNP3 or OSHMI.

Get familiar with the DNP3 objects and communication. While the protocol is more complex than modbus, it is still a fairly simple protocol, In my opinion, it just appears complex at first due to many of the historical artifacts it is required to support.

Happy hunting, let me know how you go.

Regards,
    Graeme