Menu

Jdev VSS Extension very slow

2007-03-29
2013-04-09
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Hi,

I recently installed this plug-in, but it's very slow to use it.
    How can I fix this problem ?

PC Configuration:
    JSDEK 1.4_8
    Pentium 4 + 2 Ghz
    1 GB Memory
    Windows 2000

Regards
    Thiago

• Øystein Amundsen

For one; this is an open-source product, and I welcome all to contribute to it's perfection. If you want to give a go at getting this extension to move faster, please download the source and give me a wink when you've figured it out.

Secondly; I do not belive it can go any faster. It is not the extension which moves slow, the extension should be considered a gui for the SS.EXE command line extension to VSS. If SS operations throught the command line extension moves slow, the JDev extension will also be slow.
      The original idea was to use Microsofts VSS API directly, but this task became to complicated for such a small utility. I therefore ended up coding it as a runtime Process wrapper around the SS.EXE executable.

The MS VSS 6 client connects very slow even over a fast line. You could perhaps be more successful using the SourceOffSite client (also supported by the extension) to connect to your VSS Server.

As a rule, use MS VSS client only if server is local, preferably on the same machine as your client (fast enough), but in the same network neighborhood should also work (not as fast, but acceptable). If the MS VSS Server moves more than one router away, the SourceOffSite client is faster. SourceOffSite will be slower if the server is local.

I hope this answears your question. Perhaps you would be more interested in upgrading your server to the Microsoft Team foundation product. It is faster, more reliable and most importantly - still supported by Microsoft. The VSS package is as far as I know concidered a dead and unsupported product.