L. D. James - 2003-07-06

Can someone tell me how to get the New Message flag.  When using a program such as linuxs elm, there are three status of a message.  Theres an N in front of the message that represents that the message is new and has never been listed or read.

If you close elm and open it again, the same message that had an N will now be flagged as an 0.  This means the message has showed up in a previous listing, but has never been read (or opened).

The third flag is no flag, which means the message has been read.

Can someone tell me how to get and differentiate between messages that has never been on the listing and messages that are unread.

The purpose is that a user may have many messages that he doesnt care to immediately read because of the subject or the from-field.  I would like to write a routine to play a sound when a new message arrives.  However, without having a difference between an absolutely new message and a message thats mierly unopened would cause the sound to continuously play.

Thanks in advance for anyone who understand the question and comments, or doesnt fully understand the question and would like more clarification.

-- L. James

-----------
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames